Glow plug question

/ Glow plug question #1  

Toyboy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230D
This is my first diesel ( Feb ) and I'm still learning about them. My question for you guys is, do you pre-heat the glow plugs every time or just when it's cold out. I've been doing it every time not knowing any better. I know in cold temps it's a must but wondering about warm (summer) temps? Does it matter?

/ Glow plug question #2  
This is my first diesel ( Feb ) and I'm still learning about them. My question for you guys is, do you pre-heat the glow plugs every time or just when it's cold out. I've been doing it every time not knowing any better. I know in cold temps it's a must but wondering about warm (summer) temps? Does it matter?

I live below the Mason-Dixon Line; and not knowing any better, don't use the glow plugs unless in cold temperatures.

Steve

/ Glow plug question #3  

Toyboy,I use the glow plugs on the first start of the day even in warm weather.If you notice the difference between glow plug or no plug your tractor will start ,but smoke.Glow plugs will make life easier on your starter.I,m only about 60 miles from Hayward as the crow flies,Kettle River,Mn.This rain can stop anyday,gettin soggy around here:laughing:Dave

/ Glow plug question #4  
Mine usually needs glow when it gets down around 40 or so, anything warmer it does just fine without. If it doesn't start with about 5 seconds of cranking, I stop and hit the glow cycle - mine glows for around 10 - 15 seconds and will start it just as if it were warm out. All tractors are going to vary at least a little depending on how much compression you actually have, quality of fuel, speed of cranking etc. It won't hurt a thing to try it without glow as it gets colder to see where yours likes it as long as you don't overdo it on cranking times.

/ Glow plug question
Thanks guys, I just wqnted to get things strait.

Crusty 1, we've been getting quite a bit of rain here also. I'd be pitchin a fit too if we'd not been in drought conditions the past several years. All the rain has given me a good excuse not to stain the decks yet too:thumbsup:

/ Glow plug question #6  
When the engine has been running it would not be needed. First time of the day it doesn't hurt.

Different tractors are all different. One of the used we have in the yard of another make at 100 hours I'd recommend for spraying for mosquito's even on an 80 degree day!