BX25 Ballast Box Height

/ BX25 Ballast Box Height #1  

dsmiley

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
I have a new BX25 with an OEM ballast box which I will be installing for the winter. I'm thinking the bottom of the box might be a good place for a trailer hitch. Does anyone know, or would take a guess how far off the ground the box bottom would be at maximum height? Any comments on the idea would be appreciated. Thanks.

/ BX25 Ballast Box Height #2  
Do you have the box already? In your post it sounds like you do. Can you hook it up and see?

I was going to suggest measuring from the bottom of the box to the lift pins and subtract that from the maximum height of your lift arms... but hooking it up would be even simpler.

I kept thinking you don't have the box based on your question... but when I reread your post, it sounds like you do have it.

/ BX25 Ballast Box Height
Yup, I have the ballast box. I have some work for the BH ahead so I don't want to remove it just yet. I haven't filled the box with weight yet so now would be the time to add the hitch, which I also have and it fits nicely under the box. If the box bottom is at least 9" off the ground at its maximum height the hitch should work nicely on the bottom since I have a receiver insert with about a 6" rise.

/ BX25 Ballast Box Height #4  
If you add a 2" receiver in the middle of the box would make it hard to sit the box down flat. I assume you will want to add channel to each side as well to make it sit flat. I don't think BX's have allot of 3 point lift power, 700 pounds or so I think, so with a ballast box and tongue weight from a trailer, you may be close to maxing out. I made these 2" receivers without much trouble, one on 3 point, one solid on drawbar. Philip.

Attachments

• HITCH01.jpg
    HITCH01.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 855
  • HITCH06.jpg
    HITCH06.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 842
  • DSCN3320.JPG
    DSCN3320.JPG
    938.8 KB · Views: 1,248
  • DSCN3324.JPG
    DSCN3324.JPG
    940.2 KB · Views: 736
   / BX25 Ballast Box Height #5  
If I start my BX2660 tomorrow, I'll measure it. But from memory, I'd say the bottom of the the box (Kubota OEM) (not counting the rails that it sits on) is about 12 inches off the ground. Hope this helps. BTW, my Easy Hitch gizmo will not allow the box to be mounted because the "ears" stick up too high. This could be solved by sawing the ears down or buying longer hook up rods...neither of which i decided to do because of other complications.

You do nice work, Philip. My ballast box sits on two pieces of channel which allow enough horizontal and vertical room for the hitch. The weight for the box will be removable so I can adjust it at will so the BX's 670 pound lift cap. shouldn't be an issue. I think I'll move ahead with the plan because even if it doesn't work out there's not a lot lost. Thanks for the response.

/ BX25 Ballast Box Height #7  
My ballast box sits on two pieces of channel which allow enough horizontal and vertical room for the hitch.

I did not realize the BX ballast box sits on angles. My ballast box sits flat on the ground. I toyed with putting angles on mine to keep it off of the ground when not in use, but I will use wooden pallets instead. Good luck with your receiver installation. Philip.

Attachments

• DSCN4666.JPG
    DSCN4666.JPG
    910.1 KB · Views: 1,489
   / BX25 Ballast Box Height #8  
From botttom center of box to ground is 20 inches on my BX2660. It's only 17 inches from the rail channels to ground. Sound like plenty of room for your hitch idea.

Just to complete this thread - I installed the hitch on the BB and it works great. I move my 18' Lund around with it and it has 250-300 lb. of tongue weight. The BB weighs 400 lb. I also bought a platform mount for it at TSC. It makes a great place for a rider or to carry tools, etc. Photos can be seen here.