3 point tiller for bx2200

/ 3 point tiller for bx2200 #1  

oombala

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota bx 2200
greetings one and all. deer season is here finally!!!!!!!!!11

next year i want to put some food plots out. i need advise on 2 things. first what 3 pt pto tiller do you guys use that isnt too heavy for the bx2200 ? what brand is ok, what brand do i stay away from? chain drive or gear drive?
used ones out there ?

second, anyone having good or bad luck with any certain brand of white tail clover ?

/ 3 point tiller for bx2200 #2  
I have a 40" BEFCO tiller. Our tractors will support a 50,to 56" tiller. If I had it to do over I would have gotten a KING KUTTER 48" tiller. They come standard with a slip clutch and are gear driven. Anybody need a 40 " side shift BEFCO tiller? It weighs approx 300 lbs.

/ 3 point tiller for bx2200 #3  
Have you considered a disk harrow instead of a tiller for the plots? I have a 4' Howse disk for my BX and me and every one that was seen how well it fits and performs has been very impressed. The disk has a lower setting in the farm height that is perfect on the BX. It weights 423# and with the FEL on handleing and tractor is no problem. You can disk at full speed in low range and 2 passes with the disk on even hard packed ground levels the ground ready for planting. I prepared about 8 acres of plots with mine in a day. Another good thing about the harrow is if u run over hidden stumps over rocks it will just roll over them with no damage, would not be so lucky with a tiller. Always wanted to try the clovers but have always stuck with the annuals and grasses. Besides if the clover worked as claimed what would I do twice a year during plot prep time??!! Heres a link to howse and attached is a pic of the disk. [http://www.howseemplement.com]

Attachments

• 2-201565-howse4'disk.gif
    2-201565-howse4'disk.gif
    34.8 KB · Views: 520
   / 3 point tiller for bx2200 #4  
Oombala,

If you do a search here and the attachment section you will find a lot of information on tillers and the BX 2200. I have a BX and I went with a First Choice 48 inch tiller from www.sweettractors.com was $1071 delivered, I think the price and shipping may have gone up since I got it in March 2002. I am very happy with it. I looked at a lot of tillers and most were in the $1500-2000 range. The KK was too heavy for the BX with a max weight of 375 lbs, although some people have used the KK on a BX. When you buy your tiller, do a search on cutting a PTO shaft and you will find all the info you need to cut the shaft. As usual lot of good info here on TBN!

Good luck and have fun tilling!

Tom

/ 3 point tiller for bx2200 #5  
lpigott,

I've got a 54" Howse tiller and it is as good as any tiller I have seen. Up to 7" deep, tines rotate in either forward or reverse directions. ~720 lbs. Even so, I do have to agree with you on your disk harrow analysis, though. After all why don't more farmers use tillers?

Buck

/ 3 point tiller for bx2200 #6  
42" LandPride weighs about 350 lbs. Well built, I like the size for my use. I think it was about $1300.

Terry

/ 3 point tiller for bx2200 #7  
I have a Howard Rotavator 48" tiller, weighs about 375lbs and works great behind my BX. I highly recommend it. If I remeber right, cost was around $1300.

/ 3 point tiller for bx2200 #8  
Terry,

Do you have the fixed or side shift model? My dealer recommends the landpride and they do look solid.

Thanks,
Michael

/ 3 point tiller for bx2200 #9  
I 2nd GoYankees on the First Choice 48" tiller! Tuff as nails and works awesome. Shipped to my house for $1021.00 with a slip clutch.

/ 3 point tiller for bx2200 #10  
I just put a 3/4 ac plot in a couple of weeks ago. I like the idea about the disk, I'm sure it would have gone alot faster. That said, I used my Woods 40" offset tiller. It does a great job, and the BX handles without problem.

Jim