Oil & Fuel 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12
My dealer says that the foot clutch is a normal dry disk-type clutch and the shuttle is a wet clutch. Slipping the foot clutch is severely frowned upon.

I use the foot clutch when parking in the barn, fork lifting, and other jobs that need precision.

In the field the shuttle shift works well (when I remember to use it).

On the M8540"HD" (Hydraulic Shuttle as apposed to Syncro Suttle) the foot clutch is a wet clutch pack like in an automatic transmission. The foot clutch and the hydraulic shuttle clutch is in fact the same clutch pack. There is a clutch pack for "forward" and a clutch pack for "reverse". The shuttle lever controls a hydraulic valve that engages and disengages the forward or reverse clutch pack... depending on which way the shuttle lever is set. Pressing the clutch actuates that exact same valve that the shuttle lever controls, disengaging the clutch pack.

There is no dry clutch in the Hydraulic Shuttle. I imagine all of Kubota's "HD" (Hydraulic Shuttle) models operate this same way.

The Syncro Shuttle model has a dry disc clutch, pressure plate and throw-out (like in an automobile). My WSM isn't real clear on the syncro shuttle shift operation, but it looks like it is just a set of gears, rather that a wet clutch pack. The shuttle shifting on the syncro shuttle is not hydraulically engaged. It is changing gears like in a gear box. It has syncronizers so you can shuttle between forward and reverse while still moving a little (not a lot), but you must press the clutch pedal for shuttle operation.

The hydraulic shuttle can be operated without the clutch pedal, as the hydraulic shuttle valve controls the engagement and disengagement.

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #12  
Thanks for the information, it seems like I have more precise control easing up to a fence or something by using the foot clutch.

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #13  
rjkobbeman, was wondering why you only got the 6' rotary cutter? do you have some tight places to fit through?

rjkobbeman, was wondering why you only got the 6' rotary cutter? do you have some tight places to fit through?

Tight spaces was one factor.

I was going to get a 7'er, but read bad things about them. Just too big (they are massive) and scalp really bad. The 7'ers are still a single spindle. From what I hear, an 8'er is better.

Space in my garage was also an issue.

Once I have my outbuilding erected (god only knows when that will happen!), I may rethink some of my implements.

I have a mixture of big pasture and small sections around the pond. If I get something bigger, I will probably keep the 6'er.

Thanks for the information, it seems like I have more precise control easing up to a fence or something by using the foot clutch.

Yeah, me too. I really only use the shuttle when going from forward to reverse and vice versa. I don't use it to go to into neutral to stop or get close to something. I use the foot clutch for that.

I will only put the shuttle in neutral when I sit for a while -- or when parking.

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #16  
On the M8540"HD" (Hydraulic Shuttle as apposed to Syncro Suttle) the foot clutch is a wet clutch pack like in an automatic transmission. The foot clutch and the hydraulic shuttle clutch is in fact the same clutch pack. There is a clutch pack for "forward" and a clutch pack for "reverse". The shuttle lever controls a hydraulic valve that engages and disengages the forward or reverse clutch pack... depending on which way the shuttle lever is set. Pressing the clutch actuates that exact same valve that the shuttle lever controls, disengaging the clutch pack.

There is no dry clutch in the Hydraulic Shuttle. I imagine all of Kubota's "HD" (Hydraulic Shuttle) models operate this same way.

The Syncro Shuttle model has a dry disc clutch, pressure plate and throw-out (like in an automobile). My WSM isn't real clear on the syncro shuttle shift operation, but it looks like it is just a set of gears, rather that a wet clutch pack. The shuttle shifting on the syncro shuttle is not hydraulically engaged. It is changing gears like in a gear box. It has syncronizers so you can shuttle between forward and reverse while still moving a little (not a lot), but you must press the clutch pedal for shuttle operation.

The hydraulic shuttle can be operated without the clutch pedal, as the hydraulic shuttle valve controls the engagement and disengagement.

OK, now I'm confused. Not from you explanation but from the specs for my M7040HD -1. I would expect the dealer to know what the clutch detail are.

Here is what I have copied from the PDF file that was used to purchase the M7040.

DRIVE TRAIN
Four Speed Fully Synchronized
8F/8R Synchro Shuttle
8F/8R Speeds Hydraulic shuttle

I don't have the WSM like you do since it hasn't been updated in years so it was not purchased.

The impression that I got was that the M7040 and the M8540 were similar with the obvious difference in HP. It is supposed to have the same transmission and clutch. (Plus, the M8540 was too wide for my barn's entrance!)

A bit more information from the Internet:
Hydraulic Shuttle
(Hydraulic Shuttle models)
Better than ever, our Hydraulic Shuttle for the M-Series makes shifting between forward and reverse smooth and quick. With the Hydraulic Shuttle, a column-mounted lever, conveniently located next to the steering wheel, does all the work. Boost productivity, especially while using loaders, by eliminating the need to depress the clutch every time you change directions. And when attaching implements, our improved inching feature is easy to perform, giving you the same feel as a half-clutch operation.

And:
Synchronized Shuttle
(Synchronized Shuttle models)
Shifting between forward and reverse is made quick and smooth with the M-Series synchro-shuttle, located within easy reach of the steering column. The M8540 and M9540 also offer greater durability with a new, larger diameter cerametallic clutch.

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #17  
Also don't forget on the service to adjust belt tension, as well as adjusting (if necessary) the transmission lock cable. In time, the pedal clutch may need adjustment. My brake pedal tension had a bit excessive play from the factory, the pedal adjustment (for both wheels) is fairly straightforward once you get behind it. In addition, the hyd. shuttle linkage for F & R may at some point need attention (my previous 7040 came maladjusted from the start) Really, these things may not need attention for some time.
another reason to get the shop service manual (around $100?) is for the hyd. brake service, another item probably not needing service for a long time but recommended in the owners manual (probably for liability) but described as a "dealer service item" Anyway, they talk about bleeding/purging lines, master cly kit, equalizer valve adjustment, etc. Again, probably straightforward, but something to consider in the long run.
I took a hit trading my 150 hr. 7040 in for the 8540....but the features and increased capability of the 8540 over the 7040 have far outweighed the cost difference and i was able to do it before the price increased a few years ago. let 'er rip bb

OK, now I'm confused. Not from you explanation but from the specs for my M7040HD -1. I would expect the dealer to know what the clutch detail are.

Here is what I have copied from the PDF file that was used to purchase the M7040.

DRIVE TRAIN
Four Speed Fully Synchronized
8F/8R Synchro Shuttle
8F/8R Speeds Hydraulic shuttle

I don't have the WSM like you do since it hasn't been updated in years so it was not purchased.

The impression that I got was that the M7040 and the M8540 were similar with the obvious difference in HP. It is supposed to have the same transmission and clutch. (Plus, the M8540 was too wide for my barn's entrance!)

A bit more information from the Internet:
Hydraulic Shuttle
(Hydraulic Shuttle models)
Better than ever, our Hydraulic Shuttle for the M-Series makes shifting between forward and reverse smooth and quick. With the Hydraulic Shuttle, a column-mounted lever, conveniently located next to the steering wheel, does all the work. Boost productivity, especially while using loaders, by eliminating the need to depress the clutch every time you change directions. And when attaching implements, our improved inching feature is easy to perform, giving you the same feel as a half-clutch operation.

And:
Synchronized Shuttle
(Synchronized Shuttle models)
Shifting between forward and reverse is made quick and smooth with the M-Series synchro-shuttle, located within easy reach of the steering column. The M8540 and M9540 also offer greater durability with a new, larger diameter cerametallic clutch.

I don't have a WSM for the M7040, however I would expect it works the same way. I have the 12 speed, but the 8 and 12 speed in the M8540 work the same. The only difference is the 8 speed has a 4 speed main gear box and the 12 speed has a 6 speed main gear box. The hydraulic shuttle work the same.

My WSM has some nice diagrams and explanations on the hydraulic shuttle. On the hydraulic shuttle, in place of the dry clutch/pressure-plate, there is a "damper plate". It is not a clutching mechanism, but some sort of damper that cusions the shuttle changing directions. I imagine it also serves to physically connect the engine to the transmission input shaft.

On the hydraulic shuttle, the clutch pedal cable connects to the hydraulic shuttle valve. On the syncro shuttle, the clutch pedal cable connects to the throw-out for the clutch.

I will make a note to copy a couple diagrams and text from my WSM. I can't post them for you to take a look.

Also, if you look at the "Syncronized Shuttle models" text you posted, you will notice it says the M8540/M9540 have a larger diameter ceramic clutch. That applied to the syncro models only... as their is no dry disc clutch in the Hydraulic Shuttle models. I picked up on that when I was researching which tractor to buy.

I scanned a few pages from my WSM. It contains some details on the Hydraulic Shuttle and Syncro Shuttle clutch. The document is a .PDF in a zip file. If you want/need some more info, I can look in my book and scan if needed.

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #20  
I scanned a few pages from my WSM. It contains some details on the Hydraulic Shuttle and Syncro Shuttle clutch. The document is a .PDF in a zip file. If you want/need some more info, I can look in my book and scan if needed.

Thanks for the PDF file. Saved a copy on my computer just in case. Hope I never need it but the information will be studied anyway.