Oil & Fuel 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #1  

rjkobbeman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HD-12 2010
Saturday I did the 50 hour service on my M8540HD12-1. Piece of cake. Anyone that does their own oil changes on the family car should be at home changing the fluids on their Kubota.

I pulled the two hydraulic filters and let them drain into a BIG plastic bin my wife had laying around. I then pulled the drain plug and went inside for a sandwich.

When I came back, everything was completely drained with no drips. I put the drain plug back in and screwed the new filters on. The new filters came with new magnetic rings.

I then pulled the engine oil drain plugs and engine oil filter and let the engine oil drain a while.

As the engine oil drained, I started pumping SUDT into the filler hole. Pumped 15 gallons.

Put the drain plugs back in the engine and screwed a new oil filter on. Put in almost 3 gallons of Kubota 10W30.

Started it up and let it run for a few minutes. (Actually, I turned it off and started back up several times... checking fluid levels.)

While I was at it, I hit all the zerks too.

Couldn't have gone any easier. I didn't change the front axle lube yet. Will do that in a day or two.

For the SUDT, I bought the 5 gallon buckets of the stuff. It save me a couple of dollars. I used a "5 gallon bucket hand hydraulic pump" (not EXACT verbiage) from Northern Tool. Cost about $35, but was VERY handy.

Poured the old fluid back into the empty containers. I think the clean up took longer that the actual LOF.

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #2  
Good to know about the magnetic rings. I was going to have the dealer do mine, but I am going to have my son do it instead.

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12
Good to know about the magnetic rings. I was going to have the dealer do mine, but I am going to have my son do it instead.

One mission I have been on lately is to get a Parts Manual and a Service Manual for my new tractor. This has been a real eye opener. Kubota is terrible at getting their manuals "out there" in a timely fashion.

I bought a service manual (WSM) from my dealer. I don't know if it is current or not. Am in the process of finding an answer to that question.

TRIED to get a parts manual from my dealer. Took three tries. Only after me supplying him with a part number did he finally get the right manual. Or so I thought. (The manual ended up being for a pre-2008 (non -1) model.)

Ended up getting a parts manual in .PDF format from tractor smart. The parts manual he sent me is correct (after telling him my specific tractor year and serial number), however it is a copy of the online stuff he (dealers) have access to. It isn't a "real" manual that Kubota would sell to the public. The manual I got from him is the right one, but I and tractor smart are still trying to find a part number for the retail parts manual. Not sure if one exists yet. (My tractor has a serial number that is relavent to the newer manual.) I also have a call into Messick's, however I am sure they are running into the same problems.

Anyway, the reason I am telling you this is because I had to use the parts manual I got from tractor smart to get the right hydraulic filters for my tractor. My dealer did not have current information to give me the "correct" filters had I not had the part number myself.

As it turns out, the correct filter was the same as the "older" filter but had the magnetic rings included. I'm positive this is the only difference.

I have since had to buy a lost 3ph lift arm stabilizer pin clip. I needed the correct parts manual to find that part number too.

I would do you a lot of good if you get the right manual for your tractor. It will help you get the right stuff!

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #4  
I didn't realize it was that much trouble getting manuals for the M8540. I told them to pull all the stuff needed for a 50 service which they put in a box, except for the hydraulic fluid and I dropped it off at our shop. I will have my son look at it before he begins dumping stuff, thanks.

I didn't realize it was that much trouble getting manuals for the M8540. I told them to pull all the stuff needed for a 50 service which they put in a box, except for the hydraulic fluid and I dropped it off at our shop. I will have my son look at it before he begins dumping stuff, thanks.

I was just telling you for future knowledge. For my 50 hour service, the only thing that was different was the hydraulic filter(s). After comparison, the hydraulic filter that my newer serial number M8540 called for was a filter that has been in use for a long time. The only difference we could tell from that filter and the filter that the older serial number M8540 called for was the magnetic rings being included.

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #6  
I was just telling you for future knowledge. For my 50 hour service, the only thing that was different was the hydraulic filter(s). After comparison, the hydraulic filter that my newer serial number M8540 called for was a filter that has been in use for a long time. The only difference we could tell from that filter and the filter that the older serial number M8540 called for was the magnetic rings being included.

Thanks, I clicked over on 50 today, so gotta get it serviced one day this week.

I don't know how many hours it takes to break old habits, but I still catch myself using the foot clutch.

Thanks, I clicked over on 50 today, so gotta get it serviced one day this week.

I don't know how many hours it takes to break old habits, but I still catch myself using the foot clutch.

Me too!

I am still getting used to using the shuttle shift WITHOUT the clutch. Don't get me wrong, I am quite at home with the shuttle... but my brain still wants to clutch it.

Every now and then I will play in the field without the clutch. I am VERY impressed with the smooth transition the shuttle has without the clutch. There is a slow/smooth engagement of the shuttle clutch mechanism when you do not use the foot clutch. However, I have noticed that when you DO use the foot clutch, the shuttle clutch seems to work instantly. (Don't know if they are actually two different clutches or not.) This allows you to control the engagement with your foot... and not have a second delay with the shuttle. The hydraulic circuitry in there is pretty amazing.

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #8  
I used a synchronized shuttle shift for twelve years and due to my hills, dams and such I had it wired in and it is just instinctive.

I was mowing in a fairly open area today and also did some experimenting and wondered what if any difference there is in the clutching mechanism between foot and hand. I "feel" more in control with the foot clutch, but don't know if it is real or imagined.

Overall I am very happy with this tractor as is my youngest son who has put a few hours on it. My oldest son says he is going to hold off driving it until it gets some more scratches on it.:laughing:

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #9  
My dealer says that the foot clutch is a normal dry disk-type clutch and the shuttle is a wet clutch. Slipping the foot clutch is severely frowned upon.

I use the foot clutch when parking in the barn, fork lifting, and other jobs that need precision.

In the field the shuttle shift works well (when I remember to use it).

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #10  
My dealer says that the foot clutch is a normal dry disk-type clutch and the shuttle is a wet clutch. Slipping the foot clutch is severely frowned upon.

I use the foot clutch when parking in the barn, fork lifting, and other jobs that need precision.

In the field the shuttle shift works well (when I remember to use it).

Thanks for the information, guess I had better stop.