Steering Wheel Removal

/ Steering Wheel Removal #1  

lzicc

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
Any tricks to getting the steering wheel removed on a BX22? I removed the cover, took of the nut, but can't get the steering wheel to budge. I have it soaking in PB blaster right now. Am I missing something? I can't find a way to use a puller since the steering wheel is pretty much plastic.

/ Steering Wheel Removal #2  
If you cannot set on the seat and pull up on the steering wheel after soaking in PB consider using an automotive steering wheel puller and a bearing removal device used on Shop Presses. You clamp the device around a axle and use the hydraulic press to push the axle shaft thru the bearing to facilitate removal and installation. If you are close to a Harbor Freight they have the devices in the area where they have the shop presses. Cheaper than a new steering wheel.

/ Steering Wheel Removal #3  
Never removed the one from my BX, but have removed the one on the RTV...After the nut and washer are off...Some moderate taps from behind with a rubber mallet should do it. Just move from side to side, should pop right off.

/ Steering Wheel Removal #4  
Just did that on my Kubota M series. Tugged, tapped, cursed...no luck. Bought a Three Jaw Gear puller (item # 40970) from Harbour Freight, and it worked great!! It was pretty cheap. Hook jaws under wheel and turn threaded rod and it pulls right off without any damage at all.

/ Steering Wheel Removal
Thanks for the reply. The PB worked. I got it off.

/ Steering Wheel Removal #6  
Don't forget to put a little "anti-seize" on the splines before you re-install it. That will make it easier to remove next time. When I took mine off there was a slight amount of rust on the splines.

kj