Backhoe B26 Backhoe thumb - to buy or not to buy?

/ B26 Backhoe thumb - to buy or not to buy? #21  
I built my own mechanical thumb out of 4" by 3/8" plate welded to the stick. Very handy and have about $150 into it. It maybe light for your b26, but works good on my little hoe.

Attachments

• IMG_1332.JPG
    IMG_1332.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 1,320
   / B26 Backhoe thumb - to buy or not to buy? #22  
I built my own mechanical thumb out of 4" by 3/8" plate welded to the stick. Very handy and have about $150 into it. It maybe light for your b26, but works good on my little hoe.

Great job!

/ B26 Backhoe thumb - to buy or not to buy? #23  
I got a hydraulic thumb on the mini-ex and it's a must have. I think a backhoe would be the same. "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it". (Yes I've been watching Lonesome Dove)

/ B26 Backhoe thumb - to buy or not to buy? #24  
I have a hydraulic thumb, and while I have a larger machine, I am very pleased with the capability.

I can mimic the behavior of a mechanical thumb, so I have a good perspective on what works, and the hydraulic is at least twice as useful as the mechanical.

If I pick up a rock and put it down on edge, I can control which way it falls by which side releases first. And, the hydraulic thumb adds a whole new capability to positioning rocks or other heavy items.

/ B26 Backhoe thumb - to buy or not to buy? #25  
I bought a B26TLB in July of 2008 with a backhoe thumb. It is useful. However it is very flat (ie no curvature). There are small points on the end of the fingers, but they are too small! Some teeth about 2 inches long need to be welded to the ends of the fingers (which I have yet to do).

You will have to determine if the $1400 is too much.

The backhoe thumb requires the following from Kubota:
1)Remote valve kit for backhoe mounted attachments.
2)Hydraulic thumb.
3)Quick attach coupler for the backhoe bucket.
4)Replace bucket, the original one will not work!

Good luck,
Barry

/ B26 Backhoe thumb - to buy or not to buy? #26  
I bought a 2010 B26 about 2 months ago. The hyd thumb was backordered, so I had to wait. Anyway it just came in and was installed and i got it back a couple of days ago. So I got a chance to use the machine with and without the thumb. I can say without a doubt that the thumb is just a pleasure to have.
I am regrading a ramp to a lesser pitch, so I am working on an incline. When digging and coming across rocks, which there are plenty of, instead of pulling them out and have them roll back hitting the machine, I am able to pick and place them where i want. Much nicer way to work.
$1400 for just the thumb sounds expensive. With my tractor, the dealer agreed to sell me the thumb and valve, to operate it, at cost and install it free.

----------------------Retail-------------------My cost
Thumb---------------$1100--------------------$900
Valve----------------$850---------------------$600
Install----------------$550---------------------$0
----------------------------------------------------------
---------------------$2500--------------------$1500

So as you can see the very most you should pay would be $1100. Looks easy enough to install. The valve is the tough part. I could send you some pics if you think it would help with the installation.

/ B26 Backhoe thumb - to buy or not to buy? #27  
I bought a B26TLB in July of 2008 with a backhoe thumb. It is useful. However it is very flat (ie no curvature). There are small points on the end of the fingers, but they are too small! Some teeth about 2 inches long need to be welded to the ends of the fingers (which I have yet to do).

You will have to determine if the $1400 is too much.

The backhoe thumb requires the following from Kubota:
1)Remote valve kit for backhoe mounted attachments.
2)Hydraulic thumb.
3)Quick attach coupler for the backhoe bucket.
4)Replace bucket, the original one will not work!

Good luck,
Barry

The quick attach coupler is not required to install the factory thumb kit. When teh B26 first came out the Wholegoods list said it was, but was later updated to reflect that it isn't. I have a 2008 B26 that i bought last fall and also bought the thumb kit and remote kit and it installed fine using the original bucket.

As mentioned, the valve is a PITA to install (especially getting the roll pin for the lever to line up with the valve shaft).

I saved $700 buying the 2 kits from a US dealer versus buying here in Canada......

/ B26 Backhoe thumb - to buy or not to buy? #28  
To the OP -
Just take some tape and tape one of your thumbs down so you can only use fingers on that hand, then tape the fingers together so you can only scoop something.

The opposable thumb is something that sets us apart from most of the animal kingdom.

Now if I could have had a hydraulic thumb for $1K :)