Turbo time for cool down

/ Turbo time for cool down #1  

nebraskasparks

Gold Member
Tractor
2010 Kubota L5740 HST and JD X734
This is my first turbo machine. The manual says to let the engine idle for 3-5 minutes so that the turbocharging winds down. Is this to let the pressure stabilize or is this a temp related/ cool down issue with the components in the turbo. Every other turbine I've operated needed only 1-2 two minutes for temp stabilization of the compressor section.

/ Turbo time for cool down #2  
The turbocharger needs this time to bring the housing and bearing temperatures back to the lowest operating temperature and to continue cooling and lubricating the bearings with the engine oil.

Larger turbochargers require less time to cool down as they are larger in diameter and pull in more air at low idle and high idle.;)

/ Turbo time for cool down #3  
I just remove the load the last few minutes of operation, often during the drive back to where the tractor might set.

The longer the better to help reduce the turbo temperature so it doesn't melt! For some tractors if they got two minutes cool down time it would be two minutes longer then some!

The cool down time would vay depending on what you are doing! Full load- five minutes would be a good thing!!!

Last edited:
   / Turbo time for cool down #4  
I just let remove the load the last few minutes of operation, often during the drive back to where the tractor might set.

The longer the better to help reduce the turbo temperature so it doesn't melt! For some tractors if they got two minutes cool down time it would be two minutes longer then some!

The cool down time would vay depending on what you are doing! Full load- five minutes would be a good thing!!!

That's pretty much what I do, a nice leisurely drive back to the shed for a couple more minutes.

/ Turbo time for cool down #5  
Yea, mainly to get the shaft cooled down so the oil doesn't turn to coke on it.

/ Turbo time for cool down #6  
I always understood that it was not really a cool down time, but rather to let the turbo slow down as it spins.

Some turbos spin at 100,000rpm+, and it is faster for the small ones and slower for big turbos.

If you shut down too quickly, you are shutting off the oil supply to something that is spinning really fast. Result: melt down from friction due to lack of oil. And/or the ones that are liquid cooled as well will overheat. Again meltdown due to lack of cooling off period.

If anyone is a tractor mechanic I would like to hear there thoughts on this important topic.

/ Turbo time for cool down #7  
I always understood that it was not really a cool down time, but rather to let the turbo slow down as it spins.

Some turbos spin at 100,000rpm+, and it is faster for the small ones and slower for big turbos.

If you shut down too quickly, you are shutting off the oil supply to something that is spinning really fast. Result: melt down from friction due to lack of oil. And/or the ones that are liquid cooled as well will overheat. Again meltdown due to lack of cooling off period.

If anyone is a tractor mechanic I would like to hear there thoughts on this important topic.

The turbo and spiral air scoops reacts simply to the exhaust gas speed which is the result of the engines combustion cycle and clean air filters and reacts directly in relation to this.

As long as the oil pump is working at low idle it is pumping oil through the intake and exhaust bearing sets of the turbo and carrying away the heat created by the compression of the intake air and the heat created by the combustion of the diesel fuel and intake air.

Its been so long I do not remember if the castings are titanium or another metal and or an alloy.

/ Turbo time for cool down #8  
Idle time allows the turbo temperature to stabilize at a safe level so that the oil that remains in it after shutdown won't "burn" or "coke" as some have mentioned already.

A turbo that's being run hard will often turn cherry red or even white with heat on the turbine end. The flow of oil through the bearings both protects them from damage and carries the extreme heat away from this area, acting as a coolant.

If that coolant flow is interrupted (as in engine shutdown) before the hot components have had a chance to cool to normal levels, you will dramatically shorten the life of the turbo.

We have a 10-minute cool-down cycle on the diesel generators I work on. From the time the operator pushes the "stop" button, the breaker opens automatically and the engine runs without load for 10 minutes, then stops itself. There are emergency stop sequences in case of abnormal conditions, but we try to avoid those whenever possible.

On the other side of the coin, you can estimate how hot the engine and turbo actually is before shutting down. If you've just finished a heavy-load kind of job, give it a few minutes to cool off, probably 5 or more. If it's been lightly loaded for a little while, as in driving back to the barn, a minute or less is likely all you need.

Even a naturally aspirated engine will benefit from a cool-down cycle, it allows oil and coolant temps to stabilize to a safe level before shutting down. Once the engine stops, any coolant or oil flow stops as well, no longer passing through a radiator or oil cooler.

Sean