Kubota M7040 "clunking noise"@idle

/ Kubota M7040 "clunking noise"@idle
Thank you for your thoughts. Great site and, great assistance offered. The 7040M does have a loader; The loader is not erratic or spongy to the best of my knowledge. Hydro oil does not look milky either. At least I have a few possibles to run by the Kubota Rep. who is supposedly coming out to my farm, tomorrow. I'll keep ya'll appraised. Appreciated it, and keep the dialogue going if you have any possibles regarding this "clunking noise" at low idle. NICOT on a PA mountainside!

/ Kubota M7040 "clunking noise"@idle #12  
rj - bad hydraulic pump due to front presser relief set at 3700 psi, supposed to be at 2500 psi.
- bad Shuttle Shift module, 100 psi to clutch, should be twice that ( a least ).

E/S

Thanks RJ; The Service Manager at the Corporate Office of Kubota said the Area Rep. is coming out to my farm today. I'll pass on your suggestion. Great site, and thank you all for your thoughts, you've been very patient with me as a novice on new Orange. Keep the thoughts coming if you wish and I'll get back to you'all with the final verdict. Interesting case of the "clunking" new 7040 M. NICO on a hill in the Endless Mountains of PA

7040M "clunking noise at low idle" Update: Official Kubota Rep. visited my farm and inspected the 7040M with 160 hours on it as to the "clunking noise at low idle". He said he had a similar issue with another 7040M, 3 years ago. They tore the unit apart and replaced items and the "noise" continued. The customer accepted the condition because there was no noticable depreciation in performance, and to his knowledge, the unit is still operating. He stated he would put it in writing that my 7040M is experiencing entrained air in the hydraulic system for the power steering, you can feel the pulsing of the fluid when the unit "clunks" in a line in front of the power steering. He said; Kubota would cover any future problems and stated he would give me a document stating the same. Who knows? Any suggestions? I paid big money for this machine which only has 160 hours on it. Thanks guys; NICO in the endless mountains of PA.

/ Kubota M7040 "clunking noise"@idle #15  
FWIW

you do not have to leaks to have air entering the system.

One section of the pump could be going bad and possibly have a bad pocket seal
or a missing gear tooth in one of the gear sets and create a lot of turbulance.
If there is air in the hydraulic oil the oil would be foamy all the time and the tractors hydraulics would be very erratic. Does this machine have a loader on it?

If the tractor has mounted equipment like a loader it would be easier to diagnose as the controls would be spongy and erratic.

I am very surprised the oil does not look like milk in the sight glass.

You obviously have entrained air in the oil and it is compressing and expanding

If they have replaced the rubber suction hose from the oil tank to the pump it would explain a lot for sure.

Wow, Guess it's time to get rid it, with a "Bad Pocket Seal & Missing Gear Tooth in one of the Gear Sets".......?????????....Hummmmmmmmmm

Guys; Went over all of the issues indicated in the last post with respect to the 7040M with the "Representative", he discounted all of them...Supposed to give me a document stating everything is o.k. with the tractor. I guess I'm supposed to think everything is fixed now...Is there any recourse in Appalachia N/E PA,, the land of a vacuum of mechanical talent? Who knows...NICO on a dale in 70 degree evening weather in Pa.
(Pittsburg on the west coast, Philly my hometown on the east coast and all the land in the middle where I live on the farm is Mississippi....)

/ Kubota M7040 "clunking noise"@idle #17  
I did not say he should get rid of it.

I am glad for your sake that he is placing said "statement" on paper for

your records.

If it gets worse, and as he stated "the steering system is the problem"

I am unsure you will have any legal recourse to repair the tractor as you are

depending on the warranty laws for the State of Pennsylvania

and totally upon the "product warranty laws" in Pa.

Thanks Le; Yeah, little disappointed, it's amazing how they can wiggle around instead of fixing the problem, and actually look you right in the eye at the same time. Perhaps, I'll talk to legal counsel after I get the document that they promised. The reason he said it's steering, is because the warranty for that system is up in a month. The power train continues for another year. The tractor doesn't get that much use. I bought it 11/08 and to date it only has 160 hours on it. I'm used to battling in court, I'm a retired big city cop. NICOT going all the way on a knoll in N/E PA....

/ Kubota M7040 "clunking noise"@idle #19  
Thanks Le; Yeah, little disappointed, it's amazing how they can wiggle around instead of fixing the problem, and actually look you right in the eye at the same time. Perhaps, I'll talk to legal counsel after I get the document that they promised. The reason he said it's steering, is because the warranty for that system is up in a month. The power train continues for another year. The tractor doesn't get that much use. I bought it 11/08 and to date it only has 160 hours on it. I'm used to battling in court, I'm a retired big city cop. NICOT going all the way on a knoll in N/E PA....

MY feeling is simply get the document as soon as possible and with or without thier consent find a good fully equipped hydraulic shop in the "big city" as they are buying time with you.

The Hydraulic shop will flow rate the system and find the problem the first time.

leonz

Edit:

In adding to what I mentioned earlier while i sit here miserable from my flu shot generated cold etc.

The engines and transmissions come form Japan and everything else is bought and assembled here.

Machinery is built around the components to save money-which is why it is so difficult to
work on the BX line and mining equipment in general.

One excellent example is the Ingersoll Rand Portable screw compressor with the Duetz air cooled 3 cylinder power unit from previous years-

with lots of room to work on and service the air compressor and a saddle fuel tank and tool compartment.

The oil cooler radiator had a roof opening from what I remember, where in allowing full cooling of the air compressors lubrication oil and unrestricted access to the radiator as well.

The air compressor required a smooth running power plant to provide the air energy needed for the job at hand where it runs on demand when using small air tools or at high idle running multiple tools or air operated mud pumps.

The duetz air cooled engines used in these air compressors are Indirect Injection with fule overflow return to tank and they are smooth running engines with no HICCUPS.

The gull wing doors were left closed to allow more efficient cooling of the air compressor engine and the compressors radiator.

A tractor is a tractor is a tractor and the access to the engine and transmission/transverter is more important than whether it looks like a sleek fast car or a compact formula 1 open wheel racer in my opinion.

Granted the the older tractors were simple to work on because they were much less complicated and were smaller in power but the rules were the same; They had to fit on a railroad flat car or a flatbed truck and or fit beneath a highway bridge when being moved from where ever they were made and to where ever they were sold.

These machines are used in the wide open spaces with little over head restrictions like an underground mines roof horizon.

May be its time Kubota looked at the Ferrari line of tracked tractors to simplify the building and operation of the SCUT or CUT for the small consumer and the middle Horse power owners with greater needs.

Yes the ferrari rubber tracked tractor may look a little wierd but ag tractors all had steel tracks in the beginning and the small exhaust gas purifier mufflers typically outlast the life of the tractor and a rear mounted snow blower anyway and the excellent water cooled kubota engines would not have to be DE-TUNED to make to make the EPA happy and the owners with vibration problems miserable and in the end suffer from nerve damage due to the vibration- which is the reason you see vibration dampers on chainsaws (due to wood cutters disease) which was originally diagnosed in japan when chainsaws were first used extensively to harvest wood for making homes.

OK I am done now and I will go back to dealing with my summer cold from the flu shot.

Last edited:
   / Kubota M7040 "clunking noise"@idle #20  
OK, I may be a little harsh, but my response is if "it is "normal/OK, then why don't they all do it? For the money I spent on my tractor, I would expect nothing less than perfection IE, no mechanical problems or unusual noises. If it had any I would demand it be made right or take the tractor back for a reasonable refund or trade in.

How much or how often a piece of equipment is needed should not be a consideration as both the professional who depends on it for a living and hobbyist deserves the same level of service.

I also believe this will seriously affect you when you sell/trade as I don't believe you will ever be happy with this machine.