Steering sector shaft broke

/ Steering sector shaft broke #1  

B7200HST

The steering sector shaft on the B7200HST broke yesterday. The tractor has a lot of hours on it. What should I order in addition to the shaft? It's going to take a while to disassemble the tractor and the steering box. Just getting the hood open and off will be a task, it's pushed back and hooked on the fuel filler.

I got it out of the muck hole it went into, turned around and "towed it" with a JD 1050 using the FEL up next to the shop. I did serious damage to the Kubota hood and more, while towing (Couldn't see through the JD bucket). If the sheetmetal , lights and other damaged from towing costs too much, it may get customized.

Thanks
David
ps
Wow. This board has really changed.
Dave, are you here? I'd order the shaft from you now.

/ Steering sector shaft broke #2  
Did the sector break from a front end impact, or did it just shear off? If it is what I think it is, you can actually do it without taking the whole thing apart, simply removing the four bolts on the right cap, and the adjustment screw in the center has to be unscrewed to remove the cover, the sector will slide out the right hand side, and you will be able to slide the new sector into the ball joint assy.

/ Steering sector shaft broke
Hello,

Thanks for the reply.
No impact. I've had more weight in the loader and worked in soft stuff before and didn't think I was straining anything when it broke. Less than an 1/8th" in from the od for almost a third of the circunference, it is very smooth and the rest of the break is all rough and crystally. Zero rust on either.

The dealer said this wasn't the first one to break and essentially what you did for remove/install. In the future, I won't be working as close to the edge of banks and other places where steering failure could be fatal.

I understand the NLA add-on power steering would take most of the load off the steering gearbox. Have any of you come up with a viable substitute?

I only ordered the sector shaft and cover gasket from the dealer.
I'm leaning toward a Kustom Kubota, after seeing the prices of the sheet metal and plastic that I damaged while towing it with the JD FEL. The light assemblies are $35 each and I hated them. One of the specialties of my business is performance lighting. I'll try some different combos in the front and then make a hood/front end to accomadate them.

I was shocked at the $96 price for the drag link and didn't order one. The non-replaceable ends on mine are worn. I'll either modify it to use lower priced auto tie rod ends or drill the pitman and steering arms out so I can bolt Heim joints to them and have them threaded into the old but modified drag link.

Regards
David