BX2200 Smoke left side

/ BX2200 Smoke left side #1  

g42guy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200, '55 Farmall Cub, '57 Ford 640
Non-mechanic here. My bx2200 died while operating and had smoke coming out the left side. Took the side panels off and there is a part (has VDC on it) that has wires going into it. That is what smokes. Smokes when I turn on the glow plugs. Starter does not turn.

/ BX2200 Smoke left side #2  
Electrical systems run on smoke. If you let the smoke out, they stop working. :)

Seriously, you have a nasty short someplace. "VDC" probably means volts DC and that could be stamped on any electrical component. Upload a picture here and we'll guess what's wrong, might get lucky. But if you ain't mechanical, might want to take it to somebody who is.

/ BX2200 Smoke left side
Did a little checking and seems like it could be the stop solenoid? Seems others have had them smoke.

/ BX2200 Smoke left side #4  
Non-mechanic here. My bx2200 died while operating and had smoke coming out the left side. Took the side panels off and there is a part (has VDC on it) that has wires going into it. That is what smokes. Smokes when I turn on the glow plugs. Starter does not turn.

I wonder if its the fuse panel if its on the wall behind the dash? I would be that is what it is.

I have seen some fuse blocks wad themselves when they became hot enough.:thumbsup:

/ BX2200 Smoke left side #5  
Show us a picture of it.

The smoke came out of my stop solenoid and I had to replace it.

But the stop solenoid cuts of fuel and should not effect the starters operation. I wonder if your starter or starter solenoid is smoking?

/ BX2200 Smoke left side
I'll get a pic tomorrow morning.

No, It's not the fuse panel. I can see exactly what is smoking when I turn the key to the "glow" position. Left side. It's a small cylinder about 1" or so across and about 1.5" long. Has 3 wires going into one end (white/black/red). Has what looks like a plastic cap on the end the wires go in. The other end connects to the engine by two bolts in a diamond shaped flange.

Pretty it says solenoid on it. Smoke comes out from around that plastic cap if you hold the key in the Glow position. The starter does not engage if you turn the key all the way. Lights, flasher, etc. all still work.

Last edited:
   / BX2200 Smoke left side
It IS the stop solenoid. I found pics on the web. But you say the starter should still turn? Wonder if I blew something else as well? I'll check fuses tomorrow.

/ BX2200 Smoke left side
My mistake on the starter not working....
Since it shut down while mowing, I had not remembered to disengage the PTO. Starter does turn over.

Is there anything I should be aware of as far as replacing the stop solenoid?

/ BX2200 Smoke left side
ummm... huh?

The tractor was running fine, no warning, no starting problems, nothing. Just died and smoked.