Steering repair

/ Steering repair #1  

Gomerpile78

Tractor
Kubota b7100
My "new to me" B7100 has a steering issue. When turning from right to left, the steering wheel will free spin about 2 revs then the wheels start to turn. While free spining the steering wheel rises about a 1/4" from the shaft. Pulled gearbox apart all is well inside. Cant find what holds inside shaft in place to stop this. Any help would be good, so my father in law dosent start welding things together.

/ Steering repair #2  
I think this means that the guts of your steering box have come apart, that is what I found with my B7200. There is a ball nut that ride up and down on the the ball screw steering shaft. This ball nut engages with the shaft and lever that pushes/pulls on the steering linkage.

/ Steering repair
pulser said:
I think this means that the guts of your steering box have come apart, that is what I found with my B7200. There is a ball nut that ride up and down on the the ball screw steering shaft. This ball nut engages with the shaft and lever that pushes/pulls on the steering linkage.

Found the problem! The upper bering had come apart. All the balls were in the bottom of the gearbox. New berings and back to stering. Next to fix decompresion pull cable(old one rusted apart). Then on to glow plugs. Now it will steer and we will keep it. I plan to refurbish this little monster and find a fel and rear backhoe attachment for it. Keep an eye out for good used ones for me. Dont have much money so this will be a work in progress for a long time. Thanks guys!