L5030HST Lleaking oil from weep hole

/ L5030HST Lleaking oil from weep hole #1  

atlanticmc

Tractor
L5030HST
Hi
I have a L5030HST that started leaking what appears to by UDT fluid from the front driveshaft cover joint, where it overlaps itself and from the weep hole located at or just behind the clutch housing. Anyone had this issue? It appears to be a serious problem to get to the source. The local dealers are not real helpful, if this is something that needs to go to the shop I would like to know about a good dealer in MD, VA, PA, DE. I am willing to travel for a good service facility.

Thanks
Atlanticmc

/ L5030HST Lleaking oil from weep hole #2  
Wish I could offer some insight, but my L5030 is seven years old and fortunately hasn't developed any leaks. I will be interested to hear what you find out for future reference should this occur to mine. Good luck.

/ L5030HST Lleaking oil from weep hole #3  
atlanticmc,

Do you have (or can you take) a photo?
(Also a 5030 owner.)

/ L5030HST Lleaking oil from weep hole #4  
L5030 owner, Oil leaking from drain plug on bell housing.

The tractor started to leak out the wigle drain port on the bell housing. The oil "was hydro oil" I called the dealership to find out what this could be:confused: I was told by service it is the input shaft from clutch and that the tractor would need to be split. Now i have a Grand L with all options, A/c,4x4, HST, Cab, Cruse, heater, Loader, I mean everything! I tell you this not to bost, but because the labor hours to split the tractor is so high. 15-16hr appart and 15-16 together. Yes i almost fell on the ground:cool: $2500-3000 just in labor plus parts. I desided to order the service repair manual and try my hand at this. Well, two days in of hard work labaling and removing parts I got the tractor split. What I found was the "clutch input shaft seal" was perfect!!! Looking for a clue there is a lower 4x4 shaft that runs forward to the front axle through the bell housing. I could see the oil leaking from around the shaft, looked in manual, and manual did not match what was in tractor and I then started to wonder. Called "parts department at dealer" and they sent me a diagram with 3 different changes made in a 300 serial # spread. What I found was this had been a major problem and a technical service buliten was sent out for lower 30000 serial numbers, but mine was 35238. Upon further inspection of the 4x4 shaft seal it had linear chaffing that the seal had worn down over time (630HR) and had eaten out the outer seal. I am on the way to having this tractor finished now. 01/01/2011

P.S. If you attempt this repair, do not remove the 4x4 shaft from case. It will drop the coupler in the mid trans box and you will have to take that apart also.
I live in baltimore and would like to hear if other have this problem?

/ L5030HST Lleaking oil from weep hole #5  
I'm going through this same problem on an '05 3240 right now. Split the tractor, replaced both clutch input seal and propeller shaft seal, put it all back together, and it still leaks. Didn't notice any chafing of the shaft itself, but maybe I didn't look closely enough. I suppose I could have also cut the new seal on the splines of the drive shaft when I installed it. Great. It's not leaking as badly as before, and I'm using Tractor Supply fluid now with no perceptible difference except price, so I'll probably just keep pouring in fluid until it warms up enough to split the tractor again. But to find out now that it's a known issue, after talking over the problem in detail with the dealer, is very disappointing to say the least. I have to talk to them again on Monday about another problem, so I'll post back if I learn anything new.

/ L5030HST Lleaking oil from weep hole #6  
Someone asked what the seal looks like, and how the jacks were used to support the tractor ends. Here's a couple of shots I took that showed how I did it on my Grand L3240:
PropellerShaftSeal.jpg

This shows the transmission input shaft and, below that and marked with an orange arrow, the location of the propeller shaft seal. I tried using a pair of small screwdrivers to remove the seal, but ended up pulling off the mid case so I could remove the propeller shaft and get a better grip on the seal. Lots of extra work! There is a coupler in the mid case, but as can be seen in the photo, the propeller shaft has been pulled well forward and out of that coupling without causing the coupler to come off the spline at the other end. Maybe I was lucky, but when I go in again to replace the seal, I'm going to try pulling the propeller shaft all the way out without removing the mid case and see if I can save a little time.

TractorSplitting.jpg

This shows the front and rear of the tractors split apart. I used a small jack under the rear half and a large jack under the front half to roll that part forward. It was a bit of a surprise when the engine tipped to the right after the mid case came clear of the mounting studs, but it only tipped a few degrees on the engine mounts and nothing bad happened. Just wanted to mention it so others could avoid the same surprise. Once the two ends were apart I supported the weight with jack stands while I was completing the repairs. FWIW, it's an HST tractor and there was virtually no wear on the clutch plate after 3100+ hours.

/ L5030HST Lleaking oil from weep hole #7  
After further inspection, I did not notice any fluid in the clutch plate. The thought was if oil leaked from input shaft end it would drip inside of clutch preasure plate and cause slipage. This was not happening. I replaced the input shaft seal anyways and the 4x4 output shaft "sleave seal" "outer seal" and "both o-ring". Our 5030 has the new generation of fix for the 4x4 output shaft.

This info did not come easy from dealer, they kept asking was I the original owner. I told them I was not interested in warranty, but only wanted the best fix for the machine. The I was told about the 3 generations and the technical service bulliten.

Here is the PDF they sent me to show the all three Generationsss!!!!

I still have not got my parts, so I will take some pictures and post 01/06/11

Attachments

• Shaft%201[1].pdf
    689.4 KB · Views: 878
   / L5030HST Lleaking oil from weep hole #8  
After further inspection, I did not notice any fluid in the clutch plate. The thought was if oil leaked from input shaft end it would drip inside of clutch preasure plate and cause slipage. This was not happening. I replaced the input shaft seal anyways and the 4x4 output shaft "sleave seal" "outer seal" and "both o-ring". Our 5030 has the new generation of fix for the 4x4 output shaft.

This info did not come easy from dealer, they kept asking was I the original owner. I told them I was not interested in warranty, but only wanted the best fix for the machine. The I was told about the 3 generations and the technical service bulliten.

Here is the PDF they sent me to show the all three Generationsss!!!!

I still have not got my parts, so I will take some pictures and post 01/06/11

I have an 03 L5030, so can I expect this to become an issue?

/ L5030HST Lleaking oil from weep hole #9  
I do not know the answer to your question. You will need your serial number. The serial number brake is on the pdf file posted earlier.

/ L5030HST Lleaking oil from weep hole #10  
Thanks very much for posting the pdf. The parts look very similar to, if not the same, as those in my 3240.

Did you get a look at the service bulletin that the dealer was referencing? If so, would it be possible to post a copy here?

Thanks again,

Scot