FEL -- Rear wheels in the air!!

/ FEL -- Rear wheels in the air!! #1  

ecoslik

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 HST with LA854 loader and QA, top and tilt, 1 front and 3 rear remotes, foamed rear tires
We are adding 30'x60' and 26'x60' shed roofs to the sides of our shop building.

We have been moving sacks of concrete for the post/column holes and 20', 26' and 30' steel members. We have foamed rear tires on our tractor.

I know how often this comment is made, but I must add that it is amazing how easy it is to lift the rear wheels with a load on the FEL.

/ FEL -- Rear wheels in the air!! #2  
I have a L2500 with load tires.On rough ground with a load in the bucket I like my weight box on or a heavy 3pt attachment.

/ FEL -- Rear wheels in the air!! #3  
Yeah, that's why I usually put weight on my 3-point when using the FEL.

/ FEL -- Rear wheels in the air!! #4  
I know how often this comment is made, but I must add that it is amazing how easy it is to lift the rear wheels with a load on the FEL.

The dent on the side of my truck bed reminds me every day. I was only moving a little bit of gravel to the truck so didn't bother putting the heavy rear blade on the BX2660 to counter balance. It was like slow motion, the FEL falling into the truck side while I couldn't respond quick enough to move away.

/ FEL -- Rear wheels in the air!! #5  
Lifting your rears can also be very hard on your front axle.
Be kind to your machine & yourself & ballast for the job.

Whenever I try to shortcut doing this I seem to get myself in all sorts of trouble.

-Jim

/ FEL -- Rear wheels in the air!! #6  
It was like slow motion, the FEL falling into the truck side while I couldn't respond quick enough to move away.

I wish there was a way to practice for these events... some sort of loader hazard drill. The handful of times I've gotten into trouble with the loader, I have not responded appropriately quickly enough. I tend to just instinctively try to counterbalance the tractor with my body weight which is a pretty ineffective strategy. Once I even started to put my foot out like a kickstand.

I'm getting better at remembering to drop the bucket but I wish I didn't have to think about it.

Is there ever a scenario where it would NOT be appropriate to drop the bucket to the ground if the tractor begins to lose its center of gravity?

/ FEL -- Rear wheels in the air!! #7  
I wish there was a way to practice for these events... some sort of loader hazard drill. The handful of times I've gotten into trouble with the loader, I have not responded appropriately quickly enough. I tend to just instinctively try to counterbalance the tractor with my body weight which is a pretty ineffective strategy. Once I even started to put my foot out like a kickstand.

I'm getting better at remembering to drop the bucket but I wish I didn't have to think about it.

Is there ever a scenario where it would NOT be appropriate to drop the bucket to the ground if the tractor begins to lose its center of gravity?

Prevention by appropriately loading your tractor is always the preferred method of dealing with this IE avoiding it in the first place. Time in the seat is the second best as you will learn to feel how your machine and controls work and react. This is kind of hard to do for the casual user.

I can't think of any situation in which dropping or lowering the FEL isn't the right thing to do.

/ FEL -- Rear wheels in the air!! #9  
The L5740 has strength to lift itself either from the front or the back...I can relate. I had two sets of weights put on the rear tires to counter the FEL when I purchased it. I was moving ag lime into the pole barn and the weight of the heavier duty round bucket and the material it handled fine without a counter balance but I was moving pretty slow but digging into the pile of material and lifting it out...I could feel the rear end getting a lot lighter.
Congrats...you purchased one heck of a machine...be careful.:thumbsup:

/ FEL -- Rear wheels in the air!! #10  
We've had our L3940's 6' bucket completely heaped with wet manure and it
feels extremely stable with nothing but loaded rear rears. It handles 4' round
bales with ease. The only time we've lifted the rear wheels is when the
toothbar snagged a large root when the bucket was being lifted.