KUBOTA: Stupid Tail Light Question

/ KUBOTA: Stupid Tail Light Question #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Tractor is a L3400

I finally got around to replacing one of the tail lights that I busted last year.

I happened to notice that they are two-way bulbs like typical tail lights on a vehichle. A dim and bright element.

On a vehichle the dim is for the running/tail lights and the bright is used for brakes.

What are they used for on the kubota???

If it has a brake switch, it isnt working cause only the dim lights up when the head lights are on. Pressing the brakes does nothing.

Owners manual was no help either. It's no big deal but it just got me wondering.

/ KUBOTA: Stupid Tail Light Question
How 'bout your flashers ?

Flashers and turn signals are a seperate bulb, which is only a single element. The flashers have the orange reflector and right beside that is the red lens with the dual element bulb behind it.

/ KUBOTA: Stupid Tail Light Question
Well it appears that only one element of the bulb is supposed to work.

In the first pic, you can see the back of the light fixture. the black wire in the middle is the common ground. The green wire on the right is the turn/flasher wire. There are two wires (red and yellow) going to the back of the tail light for the two bulb fixture.

There is a plug connector about 6" away for the lights. The red wire goes into the plug as you can see in pic 2, but doesn't continue on the other side of the plug as you can see in pic 3:confused:

I wonder why they would use a two-way light with intetions of only using 1 setting??????

Attachments

• Oct03_0001.jpg
    Oct03_0001.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 225
  • Oct03_0002.jpg
    Oct03_0002.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Oct03_0003.jpg
    Oct03_0003.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 182
   / KUBOTA: Stupid Tail Light Question #5  
I would guess....
Buying a bunch of (1/2 used, over spec'd) popular lights is cheaper than a few special lights.

/ KUBOTA: Stupid Tail Light Question #6  
Either that or it's a light fixture they use on several different applications, one of which DOES use the second light element.

Sean

/ KUBOTA: Stupid Tail Light Question #7  
Perhaps brake lights are required in some jurisdictions and it's cheaper and/or less hassle to have one light assembly for all applications?