Mowing Position to Clean Mower - 60" MMM

/ Position to Clean Mower - 60" MMM #1  

gusg

Silver Member
Tractor
B7510 with R4s
Position to Clean Mower - 60\" MMM

I removed my 60" MMM from my B7500 today in the garage. Now I have to clean it up for storage, lube and remember to take the tension off of the belt.

With the rear wheels it is going to be difficult to stand on its side to clean the bottom since it rolls too easily and will probably be difficult to chock. I have read that some use their FEL. What is the best way to get to the bottom to scrape off the built up grass and power wash it? Is it difficult to remove the belt tension spring? It looks like it will have a lot of tension.

Does anyone move their 400 pound MMM with their loader? Can it easily be tied up for transport?

/ Position to Clean Mower - 60" MMM #2  
Re: Position to Clean Mower - 60

I wouldn't bother with all that. Lift up the deck and scrape any large clumps of grass, etc, off with a putty knife or similar, and call it good. Attached is a picture of my 29 year old Woods deck and other than a new coat of paint, that's all I've ever done to it cosmetically. I store it up on a set of blocks so air can circulate under it, but I've never seen rust form. Must be that vegatable oil from the grass protecting it. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 2-203656-MVC-629F.JPG
    2-203656-MVC-629F.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 136
   / Position to Clean Mower - 60" MMM #3  
Re: Position to Clean Mower - 60\" MMM

Gus,

I lift mine with the front loader so it tilts up about 45 degrees and then power wash the underside and then spray with WD40. I made a "hook on a handle" to grab the tension spring.

/ Position to Clean Mower - 60" MMM #4  

gusg, When I prepare my belly mower for winter storage I scrap all the junk off the mower, pressure wash the top, and avoid the grease fittings. I lift my belly mower with the loader, scrap all the junk off the bottom, pressure wash that, then when dry also spray the bottom with a good coating of WD40. I also grease everything and check the gear box fluid level. Sometimes I'll touch up the blades with the grinder or wait til spring. As far as the tension belt is concerned I find it is a royal pain in the ___ to remove and reinstall. What has worked for me over the years is to take an old heavy duty screwdriver and carefully pry the spring off the hook. Be careful, there is an awful lot of tension here so watch your teeth, your eyes, face, you get the picture. Putting the spring back on isn't as bad but there could have been a better design here. Then again you only have to do it once in the fall and once in the spring. Knock on wood my mower belt is 14 years old, still the original. A little chewed up but should last a few more years. I contribute this to removing the belt every fall for storage. Also, I do lift my mower deck with the loader to place it in storage and the mower deck stands up pretty nicely. Good luck, Stanley

/ Position to Clean Mower - 60" MMM #5  
Re: Position to Clean Mower - 60\" MMM

Gung,
I have a BX2200 w/ 60MMM. I use my FEL to tip it up for power washing. This is my first winter with this unit, and want to keep everything as nice as posible. I fliped the MMM upside down and hooked chains on it to lift it with the FEL to place on sawhorses. I scrubed with scotch pads to get all the caked on stuff off. It is drying tonight, and tomorrow I plan to touch up any bare metal. Once dry I will coat with oil.

How does WD40 work? I thought that it was a penatrating lub that evaporated over time.
Good luck.
JMP

/ Position to Clean Mower - 60" MMM #6  

OK, I have a question. Why remove the tension spring? Does the manual say to do that for storage? I've never done that on any deck, and I've never noticed any problems.

Mike

/ Position to Clean Mower - 60" MMM #7  

Mike, as far as removing the tension spring, good question. I've always removed the spring for winter storage. For no other reason than to take the tension off the belt for those long winter months. You might not have too, but I feel that removing the spring may have helped prolong the life of my belt. Might keep the belt from stretching somewhat. Probably not the answer you expected but I'm just guessing on my end. Works for me. Perhaps someone else on this site can give their opinion.

/ Position to Clean Mower - 60" MMM

The only reason I asked was because the manual says to. I suspect it does have to do with stretching the belt. I'm not sure if temperature fluctations during winter have anything to do with it.

/ Position to Clean Mower - 60" MMM #9  

Stanley,
You might stretch the belt a tiny amount, but there are steel cables in a normal V-Belt, so it won't stretch much. You might put a "set" into the belt. It might be like parking a car with nylon belted tires in the winter. I don't know if you've had that experience, but they thump like crazy for a mile or 2! I've never noticed it that happening with my decks though.

I'm sure that there's no harm in releasing the spring, but just don't hurt yourself. There is usually a lot of tension on that spring on a 60" deck!

Mike

/ Position to Clean Mower - 60" MMM #10  

<font color=blue>Mike, as far as removing the tension spring, good question. I've always removed the spring for winter storage. For no other reason than to take the tension off the belt for those long winter months.</font color=blue>

Is it possible that this also prolongs the life of the spring itself?