3-Point Hitch Extending the reach of a bush hog

/ Extending the reach of a bush hog #1  

taborekle

Gold Member
Tractor
Kobuta B2920
Hi all,

I have a bit of a issue. I have a LP QuickHitch attachment and use it with all of my implements including a 48 inch bush hog. This works well for most of my land, but I have a issue with our dam and pond. Our access road to our neighboorhood goes over the dam, and on the pond side there is a steep 12 to 20 foot slope down to the edge of our pond. I can put the tractor on the dam road, and can shuffle the tractor sidewase on the road to get the bush hog down the dam face and bush hog the upper half of the dam face. The problem is that I can't reach far enough down the dam without putting the tractor on the steep face of the dam. Frankly, I'm afraid of flipping the tractor on such a steep slope.

Has anyone heard of extensions that I could put into the 3 point hitch and PTO so that the bush-hog has a longer reach?

Other then that, my other choice is a weed wacker.

/ Extending the reach of a bush hog #2  
Weed whacker or sickle bar mower are the traditional dam solutions. Safety first!

/ Extending the reach of a bush hog #3  
With that tractor, I don't know of any safe way to do it that is practical.

/ Extending the reach of a bush hog #4  
Hi all,

I have a bit of a issue. I have a LP QuickHitch attachment and use it with all of my implements including a 48 inch bush hog. This works well for most of my land, but I have a issue with our dam and pond. Our access road to our neighboorhood goes over the dam, and on the pond side there is a steep 12 to 20 foot slope down to the edge of our pond. I can put the tractor on the dam road, and can shuffle the tractor sidewase on the road to get the bush hog down the dam face and bush hog the upper half of the dam face. The problem is that I can't reach far enough down the dam without putting the tractor on the steep face of the dam. Frankly, I'm afraid of flipping the tractor on such a steep slope.

Has anyone heard of extensions that I could put into the 3 point hitch and PTO so that the bush-hog has a longer reach?

Other then that, my other choice is a weed wacker.

Hey watch your dam language - This is a family type site.:laughing:

/ Extending the reach of a bush hog #5  
I have a LP QuickHitch attachment and use it with all of my implements including a 48 inch bush hog.

Bush Hog is a company. They do make rotary cutters, a.k.a. brush hogs or rough cutters, but they make many other implements as well. So just to be sure what you are talking about, I presume you are referring to a brush hog and not an unspecified implement made by Bush Hog??

/ Extending the reach of a bush hog #6  
Bush Hog is a company. They do make rotary cutters, a.k.a. brush hogs or rough cutters, but they make many other implements as well. So just to be sure what you are talking about, I presume you are referring to a brush hog and not an unspecified implement made by Bush Hog??

Did that make you feel better?

/ Extending the reach of a bush hog #8  
And make sure you use an adjustable end wrench to tighten the bolts, instead of an unspecified tool made by Crescent.:laughing:

Brian

/ Extending the reach of a bush hog

Yes Tom it's a rotary cutter. Now that you have put me through properly identifying it, can you help with my problem?

/ Extending the reach of a bush hog #10  
Even if you got a PTO shaft long enough, it would probably be damaged when the bush hog goes over the edge but the tractor is still on the flat. I have a swisher trail mower that would work for this application I think, you'd have to extend the tongue, but it's self powered so it doesn't need the PTO shaft. Here's a picture of it if you've never seen one. I tow mine offset to the side of my bush hog so I get a 10' wide cut. Maybe you could justify buying one if you could use it for more than just cutting the bank.