Speaking of "Cold Weather Starting" (Glow Plugs)

/ Speaking of "Cold Weather Starting" (Glow Plugs) #1  

rjkobbeman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HD-12 2010
To make a LONG story short, I finally found in my owner's manual for my M8540 how the glow plugs operate. (Every diesel I have operated, you either turned the key to the left to turn on the glow plugs or they always came on in the "on" position of the key.) On my M8540, the glow plugs come on "automatically" if the temp is low enough. (Great! Another thing to break!) In my owner's manual it states that if the coolant temp is 32 degrees F or less (freezing or below), the glow plugs will come on automatically when the key is in the "on" position.

My question is, isn't 32 F a wee bit cold before the glow plugs come on? I have a heated garage so this may never be an issue for me, but this just doesn't seem right.

/ Speaking of "Cold Weather Starting" (Glow Plugs) #2  
I hear what you're saying. I like the option of using them when I want to. If the engine's warm you don't need them, but I do find the 3400 lights off better the first time even in moderate fall temperatures using the glow plugs. Anything below about 55-60 F and it makes quite a difference.

Sean

/ Speaking of "Cold Weather Starting" (Glow Plugs) #3  
On my L4200 they will flash on even when the temp is in the 70s ... When everything is hot you barely see the indicator flash...
When it is below freezing I have always given it a double cycle before starting and when it is near zero I give it a third cycle... Automatic works well BUT the controller is about $75 and they do fail... KennyV

/ Speaking of "Cold Weather Starting" (Glow Plugs) #4  
$75 bucks not to push a button, go figure.:mad: