[OT] Trailer Tongue Tool Box

/ [OT] Trailer Tongue Tool Box #1  

zoltanthegypsy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, GR2120
I haul the BX24 around on a Tuff Trailer 16' ramp trailer. I'm looking for a decent tool/junk box for the trailer tongue. There's a little less space @ the front since I have disk brakes on this thing, and the solenoid sticks back a ways.

Any favorites? Experience w/ poly vs steel vs aluminum.

Please excuse the OT question. I don't know where else to ask. Well I could figure that out, but I bet I get better answers here ;)

Thanks,
Z.

/ [OT] Trailer Tongue Tool Box #2  
I got this one from Buyers Products a few years back. Steel, great quality, nick lock and handle. Holds my jack, lug nut wrench, air compressor, blocks, straps, few tools, etc. You can find similar today at Buyers, TSC, Quality Farm, even saw one at Meijer. Personally, I would not go for the plastic. Philip.

Attachments

• IMG_2326.jpg
    IMG_2326.jpg
    826.6 KB · Views: 1,652
  • IMG_2327.jpg
    IMG_2327.jpg
    684.7 KB · Views: 837
   / [OT] Trailer Tongue Tool Box #3  
I have an aluminum box on the tongue of my 14' trailer. I went with aluminum since it won't rust, and it is also alot more solid of a box than a poly. I usually keep 4 tie downs, 1/2"X20' chain, grease gun, and 2 6X6's 12" long (for blocking the trailer when I unhook) in the box.

I know I have a picture of it somewhere on my computer, but I can't seem to find it... I will keep looking and post it if I run across it.

/ [OT] Trailer Tongue Tool Box #4  
Phil is that a 16ft trailer in your pic?

/ [OT] Trailer Tongue Tool Box #5  
Yes. It is a 16' plus 2' beaver tail. 9,900 GVWR, two 7K axles, 16" wheels. Trailers get short real fast, especially after I bought the FEL. Philip.

Attachments

• IMG_2329.jpg
    IMG_2329.jpg
    900.6 KB · Views: 1,102
   / [OT] Trailer Tongue Tool Box #6  
Steel or Aluminum, something you can lock. You may never think you'll need to lock it but you'll want to keep some pretty expensive chains, binders, and straps in it and a good box will seal so you'll leave the stuff in it. Someday you'll find you want to lock it, it could be because you're parking the trailer out of sight.

If what you use for pulling is not a full size truck then I would go Aluminum to keep the weight down. Otherwise the only reason for Alum would be looks and maybe rust but usually costs more.

/ [OT] Trailer Tongue Tool Box #7  
Yes. It is a 16' plus 2' beaver tail. 9,900 GVWR, two 7K axles, 16" wheels. Trailers get short real fast, especially after I bought the FEL. Philip.

:eek: Being sort of a newbie, I picked up on your comment that ..."trailers get short real fast". My 12 ft tandem trailer always looks so big when parking and hauling my little Case 448 garden tractor over the years. Now with the FEL and RB on the BX2660, I doubt that it will be an easy fit.:( As for a tool box, I carry all that stuff in two side mounted aluminum boxes in my F-250. It seems that most of it, I occassionaly use when not hooked up to the trailer.

/ [OT] Trailer Tongue Tool Box #9  
I had the trailer builder enclose the tongue on my 16', heavy mesh underneath, locking tread plate lid on top ($60). Use it for chains, clevis & boomers. Also have break-away battery in there! ~~ grnspot110

Last edited:
   / [OT] Trailer Tongue Tool Box #10  
I bought a aluminum box from Lowe's for my trailer. I think it was about $200. It is not as big as some I have seen, but it is the right size for me, and it goes well on my aluminum trailer.

Will