Mow Using 960 PTO Setting?

/ Mow Using 960 PTO Setting? #1  

bp fick

Tractor
John Deere X390
The operator's manual is kind of sketchy, so here goes a question for those more familiar with the 960 pto setting on Kubota's B series tractors.

Rather than using the more typical 540 setting, what is to be gained, if anything, or avoided, if anything in using the 960 pto setting? Benefits? Concerns? Things to do or not do?

It's new to me.

/ Mow Using 960 PTO Setting? #2  
That will most likely depend on what attachment you are running at nearly twice the rpm. Many are designed in their gear boxes to run the standard 540 PTO rpm.

Or is there something in the question that I'm missing. Is it maybe mid PTO or rear?

/ Mow Using 960 PTO Setting? #3  
If you mow w/your engine at 2000 rpm in the 540 position it is rotating at 1080 rpm

If you mow at 1000 rpm in the 960 rpm range then it is rotating at 960 rpm.

Kind of depends on whether you need the power you would get at 2000 rpm as opposed to 1000 rpm.

/ Mow Using 960 PTO Setting? #4  

Attachments

• IMG_0510.jpg
    IMG_0510.jpg
    731.7 KB · Views: 157
   / Mow Using 960 PTO Setting?
If one uses the tractor's 960 pto selection, attached to an RFM or brush hog, in order to reduce engine RPM to 1900-2000, but maintain mow blade speed, is this a good idea?

I know it done, but what are the perceived benefits or potential problems in doing this.

If you mow w/your engine at 2000 rpm in the 540 position it is rotating at 1080 rpm

If you mow at 1000 rpm in the 960 rpm range then it is rotating at 960 rpm.

Kind of depends on whether you need the power you would get at 2000 rpm as opposed to 1000 rpm.

Repete: Thanks for the info. It spawns some questions so I can understand better.

This would be a RFM, pulled through very, very thin grass. There is no strain on the mower at all. My tractor's tac marks PTO speed for the 540 at 2700 rpm. Is 1800 engine rpm, using the 960 PTO producing approximately the same mower speed? If I understand the math, the mower is spun much too fast.

Question - is it slogging the engine? Would it be unwise or perfectly acceptable?

Last edited:
   / Mow Using 960 PTO Setting? #8  
To be honest I never mow in 540 speed. I usually run with the engine speed at probably 1300 rpm or so. Always the higher speed. That is the only tool I run on high speed though. Post hole auger, tiller, fertilizer spreader and everything else at 540. But I have 30 HP.

repete thanks. Are you concerned about lugging the engine at that speed or are you happy with it?

/ Mow Using 960 PTO Setting? #10  
I really let the engine tell me. If it is sounding good, staying cool and clear exhaust then I think I am doing fine. I have been running it that way for hundreds of hours. I do on occasions change the gearbox grease and daily grease the u joints. Overkill on the grease but it mostly gives me a chance to make sure the input shaft going into the gearbox is clear of any buildup of grass that may take out the seal. I run a 60" deck.