3-Point Hitch Kubota B8200 3pt with no down pressure?

/ Kubota B8200 3pt with no down pressure? #1  

DZLDamon

Tractor
Early 80's Kubota B8200
Hi guys,

I have 1,000,000 questions, but I should probably just order a factory service manual for most of them. However, I am curious about the hitch. When I lower the backhoe down, then put my feet down, the hitch rises back up, it does not "lock" and lift the tractor for good digging weight. So I can't take a good bite with the hoe. Is there a function I've missed? A lock somewhere, or is something screwwy internally with my hydaulics?

Also, whats the purpose of the little heel pedal on the right side? I think the old sticker is saying something about flow reversal? Whats this for?

You'll hear lots more questions from me later, this is my first tractor! Thanks!

-Luke

/ Kubota B8200 3pt with no down pressure? #2  
Welcome to the forum first of all.

Secondly, becareful with those 3pt hitch backhoes, they exert a lot of force back on the tractor through the hitch in odd directions that it wasnt exactly made for.

Also, typically 3pt hitches do not have down pressure on them, however there is usually some sort of locking mechanism that keeps them from lifting the arms up as you are describing. I havent been around one in awhile and cannot remember where exactly the brace typically goes (usually is a physical piece of metal, and not hydraulically related on the ones I have seen).

/ Kubota B8200 3pt with no down pressure?
Thanks. I see a knob under the seat that says something but it's hard to read (most the decals are badly faded or gone, making it harder for me to figure it out being my first one). Is this a hydraulic lock perhaps?

I have been power washing this dirty old girl, next is copious amounts of greasing and oiling. The 3 pt mount for the hoe is sort of loose and swings side to side... hitting the inner lugs of my tires. I need to tighten those turnbuckles up to stiffen it up before it damages itself any more than it may have already in the past 20 years !! hahaha

/ Kubota B8200 3pt with no down pressure? #4  
On my 2550 the heel pedal is a differential lock. Depressing it locks both rear wheels together driving both equally as opposed to only one side.

The knob on my 2550 under the seat controls the descent speed of the three point lift. Screw it in fully, CW, and you will get no descent of the implement. Turning it CCW allows it to go down. Under a heavy implement you may want to reduce this "down" speed.

/ Kubota B8200 3pt with no down pressure?
Thanks a bunch repete! I just got in from doing a little work on my driveway when my neighbor (who has a similar era B9200) confirmed the same thing with the diff. Lock.

So, how is one to use a grader attachment etc if there is no down pressure on the 3pt hitch? Pile weight on the blade? My neighbor just got one to do our road with but has never used his hitch. He was disappointed to hear my experience with my woods hoe and no down pressure.

/ Kubota B8200 3pt with no down pressure? #6  
Even though there is not any down pressure, implements generally do not need a bunch of extra weight on them. You need to adjust the top link to get a good angle where the implement meets the ground, this will help it stay engaged.

I assume you are just going to be using a regular back blade or a box blade to do the grading with?

/ Kubota B8200 3pt with no down pressure? #7  
I had a B8200HSTD for a long time. Great tractor! Built like a tank.

But no down pressure. I have not seen a compact tractor that does have down pressure. A neighbor has a small Massey with a 3pt post hole auger; the auger has it's own cylinder for down pressure.

On the B8200, the knob undeer the seat adjusts how fast the 3pt arms will drop.