Snow Am I ready for the Snow?? or get chains??

/ Am I ready for the Snow?? or get chains?? #1  

funwithahoe

Gold Member
Do I need chains in Pennsylvania if I have a B3200 with R4's and a 72 inch plow? Anyone with experience willing to tell me how much snow I am going to be able to push on the flat - (Assuming a medium snow not too fluffy and not wet)??

/ Am I ready for the Snow?? or get chains?? #2  
With R4s in PA do yourself a favor and get chains. If you get ice or more than a foot of snow the tractor will be rather useless without chains.

/ Am I ready for the Snow?? or get chains?? #3  
My r4's and a 6ft rear blade worked pretty good this year in 2 ft of wet snow,ck30 no chains,loaded rears.

Chains don't believe will be a big improvement unless your on hard packed snow or ice.

I was going to get a set till last winter,if you don't have your rears loaded with something,you should.

/ Am I ready for the Snow?? or get chains?? #4  
I push 7 1/2 ' blade also pull w/6' rear blade w/loaded rear R4's loaded,and half drive way steep.

Try plowing w/out chain w/good rear ballast weight,plus one doesn't have to try push full blade of snow each time.

/ Am I ready for the Snow?? or get chains?? #5  
I plowed snow for years without chains and I got by OK.
A few years ago I put chains on all four tires and the differance is HUGE.
I can now push more snow, push it faster (due to not spinning) and push it back farther.

/ Am I ready for the Snow?? or get chains?? #6  
Chains make a Big difference. Howevever, if you load your kubota down with weight, that will also make a big difference.

Loaded tires are a must. I also hang about 500 lbs of weight off of my 3pt when pushing my 7' plow on the front.

/ Am I ready for the Snow?? or get chains?? #7  
Do I need chains in Pennsylvania if I have a B3200 with R4's and a 72 inch plow? Anyone with experience willing to tell me how much snow I am going to be able to push on the flat - (Assuming a medium snow not too fluffy and not wet)??

Part of it will depend on what kind of tires you have and the topography of the area you have to plow. Steep drive, definitely chains!! The length of your drive isn't as big a factor as how steep, but do consider that.

It also depends on where you are in PA. South central (York/Harrisburg region) doesn't normally get that much accumulation...but when we get a Nor'easter (like we did last February), all bets are off. Chains are a good idea, but I did fine without them for years.
NW PA (Erie area) get lake effect snow frequently, so chains are essential.

Now, after that blizzard last February, I did get chains. Might not see such a storm again for years...but I'll be prepared.
And again, even a relatively small accumulation (8" or less) can really give you grief if you have a steep drive...just ask Arrabil.

www.Tirechains.com is located in PA, BTW....Johnstown in central western PA.

Since you're using plow, you'll want good ballast on the 3PH.

Last edited:
   / Am I ready for the Snow?? or get chains?? #8  
Its a hard call, as with my R4's I do not need chains many of our winter snows.

But a wet snow that ice's up fast after the first pass, or after a freezing rain you may lose all traction that mucho weight and tire tread have little to no effect on traction.

When you spin out going up a slight grade and find out that you are in an uncontrolled backward slide/ride down an icy drive, just hoping that you and tractor don't end up in a pile-up at the bottom....chains will look real good.
Have done that twice, and now put the chains on when I think those conditions exist. :)

But as said, most winter snows here in WI are when the temps are below freezing and there is no ice on the drive surface. R4's with ballast are just fine. Some winters (maybe 10-15 in the last 43 yrs. here) never put the chains on at any time. No two winters are the same. :D

/ Am I ready for the Snow?? or get chains?? #9  
Try it without. I'm assuming it's a 4-wheel drive. I think you'll be ok. If you do put chains on, rears will be all you need.

/ Am I ready for the Snow?? or get chains?? #10  
I watched as my neighbor slid down my paved driveway with the 4 wheel drive backhoe last year on R4's, I watched as he slid down his own gravel driveway, the same day.
I'm a firm believer in chains, if you have any slope at all.
And load the tires, if you haven't already.