B2150 clutch shaft problem...

/ B2150 clutch shaft problem... #1  

jdplourde2

Hello. I have a B2150. EVERY 700 hours the clutch shaft and clutch go out of my tractor. Kubota claims that no one else has ever had this problem besides me. However, this is the FOURTH time I have replaced it (every 700 hours like clockwork). The first time it was replaced by Kubota themselves (under warranty), the second time it was replaced by a tractor dealer and I paid for parts and labor, the last two times (currently waiting on parts!) I have replaced it myself. So, obviously it does not matter WHO is doing the mechanical work, it has to be something else. So, is there anyone else out there that has had this problem?

/ B2150 clutch shaft problem... #2  
Are you wiping the splines out of the disc, or are you wearing the clutch out? I have seen them wipe the splines out, not with the regularity that you are having but they do it. Kubota had a problem with this in their early F-series front mowers. Their solution was to add a plate in between the flywheel and disc moving the distance between the pilot bearing and disc closer together. It seemed to help, but the shafts are different lengths so you can't use the F-series parts on the B2150. I always wanted to try to either shorten the F-series shaft or build up and machine the B2150 shaft so you could use the adapter plate. The B2150 shaft necks down between the pilot bearing surface and the splines. This area would have to be built up since they move the pilot bushing closer to the splines. You'd need to talk to a real competent dealer to get someone that remembers this update and could see if the parts are still available, or find a competent machine shop that could do the work also.

Brian

/ B2150 clutch shaft problem... #3  
Nope, you're not the only one. I have the same problem. My assessment of the situation is that the drive shaft is supported by the pilot bushing in the flywheel and U-joint at the input shaft to the transmission. The pilot bushing takes the bulk of the weight from the clutch disc (when disengaged) and the throwout bearing. The pilot bushing actually wears first (can't lube it) and this results in misalignment between the clutch disc and the drive shaft. The misalignment causes the splines to wear on both the disc and the shaft. Yep, I'm looking for a solution too. This time I'm going to try a solid oilite bronze bushing instead of the nylon lined one that Kubota sells. The other thought I have is to bore out the flywheel and press in a ball bearing (or similar) to better carry the load- this is probably the best option. Kubota engineers knew they had an alignment problem when they put this design out because they installed a U-joint at the transmission to compensate for what they couldn't control in the manufacturing process. That's the only reason for the U-joint.