Protecting the asphalt

/ Protecting the asphalt #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
I just got my driveway paved this week, but I still have lots of work to do inside a circle of my driveway that will involve the backhoe. I learned that I can get replacement pads for my backhoe that are the flip-over style with soft pads on one side. So, that's good for the stabilizers. But, the loader will be spending a good deal of time on my nice new driveway.

I'm wondering what others have done to prevent loaders from digging into driveways while using a backhoe. (BX24 tractor, here)

Thanks

/ Protecting the asphalt #2  
I would postpone any loader work off my new asphalt for at least 6 months, or even next fall.
But it is your risk of getting bird baths where-ever the tire weight or stabilizers set for even a short period of time. Patching the bird bath depressions is nearly impossible.

/ Protecting the asphalt #3  
I can not see any way to use a backhoe with the bucket or stabilizer on asphalt without destroying the asphalt. If you put something like plywood under the bucket you would likely prevent or at least reduce the damage to the asphalt but your tractor will slide around while you are digging.

/ Protecting the asphalt #4  
It sounds like you might need to get familiar with a shovel at this point!! :):)
I can't imagine how you can use the BH without damage to the asphalt now.

/ Protecting the asphalt #5  
I have seen plywood used and it works pretty good. You just have to really careful.

/ Protecting the asphalt #6  
I would defintely give the blacktop a few weeks to fully "cure". After that though, I think you would be alright. I assume you are using your BX24? Its not too heavy to begin with and if you use boards and just watch what you are doing. Make sure that you do not accidentally fall off the boards or drag something across it I dont think there will be a problem.

Alot of this depends on the level of compaction that they used when rolling the blacktop.....

/ Protecting the asphalt #7  
I would also wait to let if cure for a while and make sure that it is done in cooler temps. I had my driveway done last spring, and still left marks in it this year using a floor jack for a couple of minutes on my truck. It was rather warm out as well. Don't think that there is much you can do with it right now.

/ Protecting the asphalt #8  
I agree with waiting to let things cure...IF and when you go to use your BH and you're working off the pavement (gasp) lay down as much protection (i.e. plywood) as possible for your working platform area..........Good luck!

Don

/ Protecting the asphalt #9  
I used 3/4" plywood under the FEL of my JD 110 TLB on a driveway that was about 1 year old summer before last. Under the stabilizers I used about 3' lengths of 2 x 12 in addition to the 3/4" ply.

No damage to the driveway. A FEL full of material kept the sliding under control.

/ Protecting the asphalt #10  
I seen operators use inflated tires..maybe better grip/spreading pressure point out.