8540 Is Here! Picture

/ 8540 Is Here! Picture #1  

Brandon1107

Tractor
Kubota M8540
Hello All,

Well I have been reading for a while and joined recently. This is a great forum. I based my decision on what 3 or 4 guys said on here, thanks to all that post what they have experienced. (rjkobbeman and TripleR) It seemed all my questions were asked and or answered before I posted them.

This is my first Kubota, it beat out Deere due to price and dealership personnel attitude.

M8540HDC-1 Cab 8-8

The size and cab were chosen to run 15' batwing. I have owned Fords, NH and a Long :mad: before.

This is also my first tractor grapple and 3rd funtion so I have a few questions. I made my decision on grapple size without researching it here but clearing fencelines is something I want the ability to do. I have read on here that most people run there tractors revved pretty high when they use the FEL (PTO speed or near). I have been using my grapple for most of the day clearing scenderos and blow-downs, and I am slowly getting more proficient with it. My issue is that this grapple is a beast and when the lid comes down it is violent! If it makes it closed on metal the whole tractor will shake. With the third function valve I don't have the option of feathering. So is there a way to control flow that will work efficiently or is anyone out there using foot throttle to alleviate this? I know that this is a large grapple and may be too much but the performane in my opinion has been great.

ti5cmr

/ 8540 Is Here! Picture #2  
Look into a putting a flow restrictor in the grapple circuit to slow down the movement. Also, I would think you could do most of your loader work at not much above idle. It should have plenty of hydraulic flow and pressure at low rpm. By the way, congratulations on an awesome tractor and welcome to TBN.

Last edited:
   / 8540 Is Here! Picture #3  
try just using the foot throttle when using the loader or grapple.

/ 8540 Is Here! Picture #4  
Very nice tractor.:thumbsup:

I would love to have a grapple, but $$$$$$$$$

I have never used a grapple, but I don't run any of my tractors at PTO speeds when using a FEL as they work well at much lower RPM's and I dislike the the way the loader jerks and reacts at this speed.

I use the foot throttle a lot while doing FEL work with my M8540. I don't vary engine speed as much on my L5030 due to the HST, but do for transport and run it at about 1500 or a little more.

Experience will show which works best and I am still on the learning curve with our M8540, but love it.

/ 8540 Is Here! Picture #5  
Congrats on your new Bota! :thumbsup:

/ 8540 Is Here! Picture #6  
Most of the time I use the foot throttle.

When I am using the PTO, I set the hand throttle for PTO speed.

In some cases I will set the hand throttle when I am using the FEL, but I normally set it to 1,500 RPM. This gives me enough engine RPM to not stall (I usually am doing this when I am in less than ideal terrain and I am using the brakes... and want to back up without having to use my foot on the throttle.) A little extra RPM also works the hydraulics better/faster. It doesn't take much RPM above idle to get the pump working good though.

You certainly could leave your hand throttle off and use your foot only. This would allow you to take advantage of slower hydraulic flow at idle.

/ 8540 Is Here! Picture #8  
Sweet machine!!,no need for high rpm's for a grapple...you can install a flow control on the RETURN side of the cylinder to slow it down on close.I use a Green's machine thumb and markam tooth-bar ,works great.:thumbsup:

/ 8540 Is Here! Picture #10  
Very nice !
I use my 3rd function for a post hole digger, bring your RPM down when you hit the button. You will be surprised at how much that helps.
Enjoy !

E/S