It's Grapple Time

/ It's Grapple Time #1  

M59 Jim

Tractor
Kubota M59
Any of you have a problem with bending and breaking things? I do. So when I decided to get a grapple I got one of the toughest ones I could find. I live in the rural mountains of Montana about the 5000 foot level. Where I am we don't have alot of brush or thickets, but we do have rock and large ponderosa pine trees. Unfortunately about 2 years ago pine bettles started killing off the trees and we got hit bad. It's hard to believe how a little bettle can cause so much devistation, not to mention the fire danger as the trees dry out. I figure it will be 2+ more years before I can get all the dead trees down and the limbs and branches cleaned up.

I did alot of reading on TBN about grapples and what everyone was recommending. The pros and cons went back and forth, with some very stuck on what size of grapple you should get. I ended up deciding that everyones input and experience was great information but the bottom line is that there are many local factors to consider when buying a grapple. I looked at what my conditions were, how I would be using the grapple, the size of my M59 tractor, the FEL lift capacity and of course could the budget afford it. I think it boiled down to these 3 needs or requirements.

1. The grapple must be at least as wide as the tractor. When picking up branches after delimbing an 80 foot plus tree I don't want to be driving over 1-6 inch branches much less having them poke at the tires or Big Orange. I sort of look at it like you wouldn't buy a 4 foot snow blade for a 6 foot wide truck would you?

2. The grapple had to be strong enough to grab and hold onto at least a 16 foot section of a tree. I use 16 feet because many trailers around hear are 16 feet long for transportaion. I will admit that there has been a few cases when a 16 foot section was just too heavy even for the M59. And it was sad to lose a big tree like that.

3. I needed to build some rock retaining walls so the upper tines of the grapple needed to extend out approximately the same as the lower tines. I also estimated it needed to be strong enough for a 3000 pound piece of rock. This would allow me to pick up the rock with the outer edge of the grapple and let me lean out of the tractor and have a better view of where I was putting it. Of course I can only lean out so far or I will trip the seat safety switch. But that is ok I like safety.

After looking at my needs/requirements and my Big Orange which has a lift capacity of almost 4000 lbs (excluding implement) and a breakout force of almost 6000 lbs, I concluded for my situation I needed a serious grapple. They make bigger ones but this fit my needs and it is one bad boy.

Anbo GR-SH 6' Site-Pro Heavy Duty Grapple Rake, 6" spacing. The tines are 5/8" and outer tines 3/4" made of AR400 Steel, 3x8 cylinders with a 51" opening, weighs in at 1005 lbs.

Excluding the cost (don't ask) I have been super happy with the grapple. It is the most used implement I have, not counting winter time. My wife now calls the M59...JAWS.

I would also like to say if you are looking at getting a grapple use your judgement based on "your" situation and needs. One size does not fit all unlike what others may say.

Happy Grappling...M59 Jim

Attachments

• Grapple1.jpg
    Grapple1.jpg
    666.6 KB · Views: 594
  • Grapple2.jpg
    Grapple2.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 558
  • Grapple3.jpg
    Grapple3.jpg
    632.3 KB · Views: 869
   / It's Grapple Time #2  
wow, that is impressive. i can tell it's going to get alot of use. i am curious to know how it works for placing rocks on walls, i've done some walls of my own using a mini-ex with hyd thumb. took a long time but was pleased with the results.

/ It's Grapple Time #3  
Sweet piece :thumbsup:

/ It's Grapple Time #4  
Wow, that things heavy-duty! Good for you for spending what you need to on quality equipment to fulfill your requirements.

Enjoy.

-Jer.

/ It's Grapple Time #5  
That beast looks hungry..nice setup. :)

/ It's Grapple Time #6  
I think you can pick up my little tractor no problem!! If I ever get stuck in the mud, I will call you!!:laughing:

Deano

/ It's Grapple Time #7  
Super nice, if i get a log i cannot handle with my L48TLB, (JR Long Grapple) down here in Wyoming will you come give me a hand ??:thumbsup:

/ It's Grapple Time #8  
No argument what - so - ever!!! I leave the grapple on the tractor when it's not going to be used because I know I can do "Something" with the grapple. I also went with Anbo...as have many others because of their reputation and quality. It makes property clean up a joy versus a chore. Watch your rear end!!!!

/ It's Grapple Time #9  
I made one just like yours and after way to much welding I would have been better off buying on. I have managed to to bend the end tines on mine but I agree next to the backhoe with grapple the front grapple is most used item on the tractor. I would agree its worth every penny.

/ It's Grapple Time #10  
I made one just like yours and after way to much welding I would have been better off buying on. I have managed to to bend the end tines on mine but I agree next to the backhoe with grapple the front grapple is most used item on the tractor. I would agree its worth every penny.

I have a little lighter weight grapple on my tractor and find it does great. I don't plow the ground and not sure my tractor has the power to do it. What is does do is allow me to move brush piles. I spent a fair amount of time last week cutting trees out of a fence row and found this invaluable in moving the droppings. I keep mine on all the time but sometimes wonder if all that weight bouncing that far out is not a strain. It does help very much to balance the bush hog(7') and vice versa.

Attachments

• IMG_5996.jpg
    IMG_5996.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_6046.jpg
    IMG_6046.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_6053.jpg
    IMG_6053.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 458