Oil & Fuel tighten the filter

/ tighten the filter #1  

heehaw

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV
i learned a little lesson: i have changed oil in all of my equipment for about 40 years, never had this problem before, but i changed the oil in my B7510 about a year ago: use it mostly to mow with, an just put it in the barn a couple weeks ago, after mowing a couple acres: went to get it out saturday morning: started it up an began backing...oil going everywhere!!
the oil filter was about to fall off...maybe my hand tight just isn't as tight as it use to be, so from now on, i WILL snug all filters with a wrench.
heehaw

/ tighten the filter #2  
i learned a little lesson: i have changed oil in all of my equipment for about 40 years, never had this problem before, but i changed the oil in my B7510 about a year ago: use it mostly to mow with, an just put it in the barn a couple weeks ago, after mowing a couple acres: went to get it out saturday morning: started it up an began backing...oil going everywhere!!
the oil filter was about to fall off...maybe my hand tight just isn't as tight as it use to be, so from now on, i WILL snug all filters with a wrench.
heehaw

Hand tight should be more than adequate. Just to be safe, I would pull the filter off and make sure you didn't leave the gasket on from the previous filter. This happends sometimes. With the old gasket in place, when the new filter is screwed on you have a "double gasket" and that does not work. The old gasket blows out. Usually happends right away though.

At least you discovered this before you lost too much oil and did bad things to your engine!

/ tighten the filter #3  
Bummer about the oil.
Along those lines, I just did the 400 hr. maintenance on my L3240. The manual says that the HST filter should be hand tightened until contact and then wrenched on 1 complete turn after that.
Thats quite a bit more than hand tight which only seemed to go about 1/4 past contact.
I'm surprised that it needs to be that tight but I guess there's a lot of pressure there.

/ tighten the filter #5  
You may just want to double check to make sure something didn't get tweaked. Had a guy working on one of our large marine engines (1800hp Cummins) and he was cleaning behind the engine in a tight space. Long story short, he had 'pushed' against one of the oil filters (they are quite large by the way) with his foot while reaching for a dropped tool. He tweaked it just enough so that nobody noticed until the filters kept dropping off when the engine was running. Couldn't figure it out for the longest time why the filter would eventually drop off. Thankfully our engineer always caught it immediately and shut things down. Finally, upon very close examination, we could tell that when screwed up all the way to the housing, the filter wasn't flush all around its mating surface. The threaded rod that the filter screwed onto was tweaked. I guess this was all it needed to vibrate itself off over time. New filter housing solved the problem. I tell you it was the weirdest thing. Couldn't figure out how a filter could bounce around on a truck all day, but would spin off our engine!

Is it possible that your filter could somehow have taken a hit? Just a thought.

/ tighten the filter
the filters are $13 at the local kubota dealer, but thats still cheap compared to messin up an engine....i will be changing oil an filter on that tractor before i use it again....just to make sure...plus i am going back to all the rest of the equipment i have an snug the filters up with a wrench..
heehaw

/ tighten the filter #8  
just a quick laugh about the filter wrenches - I "spoiled" myself with one when I bought some oil and filter for my wife's Honda. This wrench was the type to fit the filter exactly. Previously, I have only had the type with a flexible metal ring that tightens around the filter as you turn it.

I had to laugh though when all I did was move my problem of not being able to fit the wrench around the filter to not being able to get the wrench off the filter. Had to get a hammer to get it off!:laughing: Good use of money:mad:

/ tighten the filter #9  
I had a new filter with the threaded hole bored crooked with respect to the axis of the filter. I screwed it on tight, started the engine, and oil shot out because the gasket wasn't mating tight on one side of the filter. Took it back and got a new filter. I guess bad products sneak off the production line every now and then.

/ tighten the filter #10  
I once had an oil filter that I couldn't get started on the threaded pipe on the engine. A closer inspection revealed no threads on the filter. That one went back in a hurry!