BX25 Trailering question

/ BX25 Trailering question #1  

MarkI

Tractor
BX25
Hi there ... new member here from the Niagara Region of Ontario.

My wife and I recently purchased a 76 acre farm. We rent out most of it to a pro-farmer and we are slowly taming the 6-10 acres that is the 20 year derelict jungle that will someday be our homestead. We are hoping the BX25 will help with the job and be small enough for my wife to enjoy; and easy enough for me to trailer each time (as we do not have a secure barn at the moment).

I have recently ruled out a 6X10 Miska dump trailer with awesome folding ramps. The idea was to back on, put the BH boom to one side and have the FEL arms resting on folded ramps (on a piece of wood of course). However, most people I talked to advised this may be a little too tight and hard on the hydraulics for regular trips.

My second idea for a trailer (that I can also use as my only utility trailer ...) would be a tandem 6X12 landscape utility (7,000 GVWR) with high sides (mesh or wood) and two ramps on the rear. The ramps would have a 24" gap between them which would in theory allow the BH boom and bucket to fit between and be 'outside' of the trailer. From what I understand the BX25 is 11'4" from the FEL bucket to the rear of the BH operating station ... this much should fit inside the 6X12 trailer ... Anyone trailering like this? I know the BH is pretty heavy ... I wonder if A) it would work ... and B) whether there would be enough tounge weight with the BH boom hanging out the back??

My last thought that in lieu of a dump trailer ... would be to have jacks installed on the back corners of the trailer so that I could put them down and potentially use the BX FEL to off load any fill, mulch, stone etc directly from the trailer. Any thoughts? Bad idea?

Last edited:
   / BX25 Trailering question #2  
Welcome to TBN Mark...

I'm about to find out the same thing. I've never towed my BX, but I going to have to shortly. My neighbor has a 14' car trailer (14' isn't really a car trailer, but its all the same, just 2' shorter).

I'm curious how it will fit, My RTV1100 almost chews up the entire trailer and the BX is longer overall.

One thing that I would make sure of : The BX is heavy and I'd make certain that there are brakes on the trailer and also a dual axle would almost be manditory. My RTV weighs 2500# and that thing is a presence on the trailer, the BX is certainly heavier.

/ BX25 Trailering question #3  
I would be concerned about tongue weight with the backhoe off the back of the trailer. If the tonque weight is too low your trailer will start swerving from side to side behind your truck.

I use a 20' trailer for my B21. With a 16' trailer I needed to have the FEL bucket on top and forward of the front rail to get enough tongue weight. You may be able to do the same with your BX but I think a 16' trailer would be a better option.

/ BX25 Trailering question
Thanks guys ... Tim let me know how you make out with tounge weight with the 14' car trailer. Bruce ... I agree a 16' trailer would solve much of my problems ... however, my father uses my trailer to cart around his little riding mower as well ... and I want to keep it as small as possible to make it easier for his use. We also don't have room for a 16' trailer in the driveway. What do you think about me adding some weight (sand bags etc) to the FEL bucket to counter the extra weight hanging out the back of the trailer. I figure tractor with MMM is about 1,800lbs right over the axels ... BH is around 400lbs with boom elbow and bucket only outside the trailer. Loader is arond 400lbs ... perhaps an extra 200lbs in the FEL bucket might help fight trailer sway. Its a concern Bruce that I share with you because much of the commute to our country property is at hiway speeds.

/ BX25 Trailering question #6  
I have a BX25 and it is about 14' from tip to stern.

With the back hoe lowered to the deck, it just fits on a 16' trailer with a few inches on each end to spare. I have a mesh gate in the back.

I take the SMV sign off when transporting as it came off once and thankfully landed on the deck and stayed there.

I pulled it a short distance with the back hoe raised and the back hoe bounced around and swayed a bit even with the transport pins installed. I like to have the BH bucket resting on the deck and strapped down.

Bill

/ BX25 Trailering question #7  
I have no problem and I use an old double axle bobcat trailer. My BX23 BH hangs out past the trailer rear when I have the FEL on. Just make sure you pin the BH so it will not drop and or swing.

/ BX25 Trailering question #8  
Thanks guys ... BH is around 400lbs with boom elbow and bucket only outside the trailer. Loader is arond 400lbs ... perhaps an extra 200lbs in the FEL bucket might help fight trailer sway. Its a concern Bruce that I share with you because much of the commute to our country property is at hiway speeds.

I think the FEL is about 550# and the BH is around 700#? My 60" MMM is about 200#.

On my 16' trailer, if I don't have the FEL within an inch or so from the front of the deck, the whole rig sways quite a bit when braking. I also tip the FEL bucket down so that the blade rests on a couple of 2x4's. That seems to get the weight a bit further forward.

/ BX25 Trailering question #9  
I have a BX2350, and I have a 16' car trailer with a 2' beaver tail. With just the tractor on there, the trailer is way to big. With the tractor, endloader and brush hog, it get long in a hurry, and the trailer is just the right length. I would want at least a 16 foot trailer with your setup. Just about any tandem axle trailer with brakes on at least one axle will handle the weight just fine, length is more of an issue than weight.

/ BX25 Trailering question #10  
I think you might be able to solve the balance issue by having the trailer build with the axles further to the rear. A landscape trailer typically has the axles a little rear of center. Moving a few feet further to the rear would shift weight forward to the ball.

What are you towing with?