Loader Using loader with chains, etc

/ Using loader with chains, etc #1  

HiTechTed

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
I've seen a few posts here where guys mention welding chain hooks to their buckets to lift things with. What I'm seeing in my L3400 manual says to -never- use chains around the bucket. I've seen where guys say they can even push fence posts in with their FEL. I'm all for using this tractor to it's fullest extent, but I would rather not die or injure myself or the tractor in the process.

Why does the manual say NOT to do these things? Is it just a safety thing so that dumb people don't try lifting overly-large objects with a chain and end up tipping the tractor over? Is it because the load can swing? Or is the L3400 just not beefy enough to do these things? I get the impression that it IS powerful enough, but maybe I'm missing something here.

What is the best (and hopefully safest) way to pull fence posts with your tractor?

/ Using loader with chains, etc #2  
To pull fench post,maybe three point hitch(chain around draw bar)?Lots more lift power and closer to the pick.

/ Using loader with chains, etc #3  
Why does the manual say NOT to do these things? Is it just a safety thing so that dumb people don't try lifting overly-large objects with a chain and end up tipping the tractor over? Is it because the load can swing? Or is the L3400 just not beefy enough to do these things? I get the impression that it IS powerful enough, but maybe I'm missing something here.

What is the best (and hopefully safest) way to pull fence posts with your tractor?

1) IMHO common sense seems to be a rare commodity these days. Read these forums very much and you may agree. Legions will disagree...yet...You have covered some examples above that many with tractors would head straight to with no comprehension of where to draw the line, then break themselves or their tractors in short order. As such, most corporations have had to learn to cover themselves with excess statements of caution. The same ones who can't figure out what dumb is are also the first to sue when they are overcome by it. That said, I have hooks on the buckets of both a B7510 and a GL5030. I use them extensively, and I have never had a problem because I have some idea of limitations of both tractors. Over many years, I have also operated equipment uneventfully for thousands of hours which had none of the safety equipment included on tractors, mowers, chain saws, etc manufactured today. I respect all these things as things which can kill me, and make decisions accordingly. Not all seem to be able to do that, for whatever reason.

Some people still manage to kill themselves with even the newest equipment, with every safety device they can be added, so manufacturers can only do so much to protect certain people from themselves. I have stated before that many people should not own equipment and should pay someone to perform the tasks that would require machinery beyond their skill levels to understand and operate. Enough said.

2) The easiest way to pull fence posts is to tie a chain low on the post, then run the chain over a car or truck wheel (as in rim only), then attach the chain to the tractor drawbar. As you move forward the chain will LIFT the post from the ground. With these simple instructions, some would likely not understand how to make this work. They should hire someone to pull their posts.

I am not trying to be smart but wanted to answer your question honestly from my perspective. You had already headed in that direction anyway. Hope this is helpful.

/ Using loader with chains, etc #4  
Chains are handy to have. The problems are as you mentioned. People will panic when they find themselves in a tipping condition. This can be the result of to large of a load, or a load that swings to oneside causing the tractor tip. Turning to sharply will also change the balance of your tractor. When using chains make sure the weight hangs in the center of the bucket. Go slow when trying new things. I have used the FEL to push in fenceposts and I've also bent the the bucket doing this.

/ Using loader with chains, etc #5  
I too have an L3400 and want to weld on hooks to the bucket. Does anyone have advice on what supports need to be welded on to the bucket to strengthen before welding on the hooks?

/ Using loader with chains, etc #6  
I too have an L3400 and want to weld on hooks to the bucket. Does anyone have advice on what supports need to be welded on to the bucket to strengthen before welding on the hooks?

I added a 3/8" x 2" flat stock welded to the top of my L3400 bucket, then welded 3 pelican hooks to that; 1 in the center and 1 to each side in direct line with the lift arms.

/ Using loader with chains, etc #7  
I added a 3/8" x 2" flat stock welded to the top of my L3400 bucket, then welded 3 pelican hooks to that; 1 in the center and 1 to each side in direct line with the lift arms.

I've welded and operated tractors both for about 30 years and I'll completely agree with the quoted post.

/ Using loader with chains, etc #8  
Being new to tractor can be intimidating especially with all of the warnings. I would try to find a friend who is an experienced operator and work with him/her to learn the proper way to safely accomplish your tasks.

The best advice I can give is go slow until you get comfortable with your tractor and equipment especially your FEL. I have been using them for years and am still not as good as I would like.

We use chains and hooks on most of our tractors. I agree with Gem99 and Dargo on reinforcing. We got too busy to do this on our M8540 and bent the top center hook. My L5030 has the HD bucket.

Unless it is a T-post, I don't use a FEL to pull posts. I use a chain and drawbar on my 3-point.

/ Using loader with chains, etc #9  
Well,,,,
How many MORE ways do we need to get hurt ? (-:

I have a habit of using the FEL to pick up implements and put them on the truck's bed.
It was my INTENTION to do this with pallet forks.
Heck, it was my INTENTION to keep every implement ON a pallet - but I don't.
So I find myself running a chain around a top link pin and hoisting it up however far I need to get clearance over about a 4ft high truck flat.
If I don't get the bucket center hook very close to the top link pin there can be a LOT of height to the bucket's hook and of course THAT means instability.
It is a heavy pendulum, it is all too easy to get it's line of force outside the tractor's front track - geometry 101 - and it wouldn't come down quickly enough in an emergency.
A swinging ~900 lb implement 8 or 9ft off the ground is a SERIOUS hazard to stability.
I know, I could/should just lift it and back the truck under - I don't.

What else ?
I already posted about the dumb trick of trying to pull shrubs out with a chain on the FEL bucket, OK if it comes out easily, say if a hoe or harley rake is on the back and the tires are loaded.
Scary if the rear lifts up.
DUMB to try and back up in 4WD at the same time as trying to lift in an attempt to "tear" it out (-:

I guess chain on a FEL just offers too many "Opportunities" for damage/injury/death.
I admit to doing some of them, I generally have an emergency plan in mind and try to stay conscious of the risks involved - but we are mere mortals.

/ Using loader with chains, etc #10  
You know, I was reading a toothpaste tube a few months back and it said to be careful not to swallow any. Huh, it's toothpaste.
Are Americans that stupid?

Weld hooks on to some plate steel and then weld that to the bucket as others have stated. Case closed.