Is it OK to raise/lower mower deck on the fly?

/ Is it OK to raise/lower mower deck on the fly? #1  

bellweather

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX22
Is it OK to raise the MM mower deck using the hydraulic lever while mowing? Let's say I'm mowing with the deck lowered right down but encounter an area where there are some tree roots, can I simply hit the lever to raise the deck an inch or so, then lower it back down later....all without reducing RPM?

Thanks

/ Is it OK to raise/lower mower deck on the fly? #2  
The mower deck will naturally track the ground level depending on the scalp rollers, so it will move up and down naturally, using the hydraulics to raise it won't hurt it in the slightest.

In fact it'll straighten out the CV joints leading to less bearing wear in the joints :p but that's getting a little extreme.

No dramas in raising it with hydraulics whilst cutting/moving etc =]

J.

/ Is it OK to raise/lower mower deck on the fly? #3  
Yes, No problem.

/ Is it OK to raise/lower mower deck on the fly? #4  
I sure hope there isn't a problem as I have been doing it for the past seven years.

/ Is it OK to raise/lower mower deck on the fly? #5  
Just make sure you listen for subtle scraping or squealing noise indicating contact between the belt/pto shaft and some body work.

If you are flying along at tree top height, be careful of those trees, especially hardwoods. Over 10,000 feet you will need oxygen.

Don't trust your altimeter, either, remember the famouse Far Side cartoon: "Say, what do you suppose those mountain goats are doing up here in the clouds?".

/ Is it OK to raise/lower mower deck on the fly? #6  
Just make sure you listen for subtle scraping or squealing noise indicating contact between the belt/pto shaft and some body work.

If you are flying along at tree top height, be careful of those trees, especially hardwoods. Over 10,000 feet you will need oxygen.

Don't trust your altimeter, either, remember the famouse Far Side cartoon: "Say, what do you suppose those mountain goats are doing up here in the clouds?".

Careful drinking and TBNing! I don't think there is currently a law against it but it could be coming.:laughing:

/ Is it OK to raise/lower mower deck on the fly?
Thanks for the comments guys...it's reassuring to know that I can safely mow with the mower deck raised somewhat...with or without a pilot's license.

/ Is it OK to raise/lower mower deck on the fly? #8  
Thanks for the comments guys...it's reassuring to know that I can safely mow with the mower deck raised somewhat...with or without a pilot's license.

I actually asked my dealer the same thing - Have some rough spots I need to mow with the mower way up and he said there was no prob.

/ Is it OK to raise/lower mower deck on the fly? #9  
I hope not!!! I do that every time I mow!!! :cool:

/ Is it OK to raise/lower mower deck on the fly? #10  
Count me in the raise-while-mowing club. Need to do it for some rocks and roots. And I get the all clear from the tower in my ear piece anyway :laughing: