Getting fuel filter bowl off

/ Getting fuel filter bowl off #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
This is going to be a stupid question:

I've never changed the fuel filter on my L4200 in the 5 years I've owned it. I've had a new filter and o-ring kicking around for the same 5 years too...I feel shame. Never had any kind of issues, but figure being it is WAY overdue, and since I'm going to be running the tractor all winter (for the first time), I better get it changed. I've changed all the rest of the filters a few times, but could never get the fuel filter bowl open - it's always pretty spoogy, which doesn't help matters.

What I do remember is not being able to get the bowl open, and I didn't want to force anything w/o knowing exactly how it comes apart. How does the filter bowl open? There appears to be a locking ring at the top of the bowl - does the bowl spin off of this ring (turn the bowl), or does the ring spin above the bowl (hold the bowl still)? If it turns out to be stubborn (like I remember), are there any tricks to getting it unstuck?

Thanks much - JayC

/ Getting fuel filter bowl off #2  
On my L5030, the notched ring unscrews and the glass bowl comes down. It is really hard to turn.

/ Getting fuel filter bowl off #3  
I have a L3000dt and it has the spin-off cartridge, i always turn it over and pour the contents out into a jar to check for what was caught and the water contents.Most of trash will stay in the element,so I tear it open and look again just for satisfaction. We have done this for years on our gen-sets to check for Fungus in fuel..Jy.

/ Getting fuel filter bowl off #4  
Like TripleR, I get a pair of large channel locks, carefully put then on the ring above the glass bowl, carefully apply enough pressure to unscrew the ring..bowl will drop away when it is completely unscrewed. Going back on, make sure you have a new replacement filter gasket and tighten only sufficiently to stop fuel leaks.

Be aware that, at least on my L5030, there is a procedure for purging air from the system after you replace fuel filter or get air in line..... need to do this procedure else may not start/run afterward.

/ Getting fuel filter bowl off #6  
Like TripleR, I get a pair of large channel locks, carefully put them on the ring above the glass bowl, carefully apply enough pressure to unscrew the ring..bowl will drop away when it is completely unscrewed. Going back on, make sure you have a new replacement filter gasket and tighten only sufficiently to stop fuel leaks.

Be aware that, at least on my L5030, there is a procedure for purging air from the system after you replace fuel filter or get air in line..... need to do this procedure else may not start/run afterward.

/ Getting fuel filter bowl off
Like TripleR, I get a pair of large channel locks, carefully put them on the ring above the glass bowl, carefully apply enough pressure to unscrew the ring..bowl will drop away when it is completely unscrewed. Going back on, make sure you have a new replacement filter gasket and tighten only sufficiently to stop fuel leaks.

Is the filter "gasket" an o-ring? And yes, I have to purge air as well - that part is in the manual.

JayC

/ Getting fuel filter bowl off #8  
Jay, can you remove the filter bowl assembly from the fuel tank? Once in your hands it will be much easer to take apart. Remember to drain the fuel tank first. Good luck.

/ Getting fuel filter bowl off #9  
On the L5030, the gasket is an O ring, there should be a diagram in your manual. Our M8540 is a cartridge type where you just unscrew the old one and screw on a new one.

/ Getting fuel filter bowl off #10  
TripleR, as often happens, you are one step ahead of me with the complete and right answer.:laughing: