Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211

Default Getting fuel filter bowl off

This is going to be a stupid question:

I've never changed the fuel filter on my L4200 in the 5 years I've owned it. I've had a new filter and o-ring kicking around for the same 5 years too...I feel shame. Never had any kind of issues, but figure being it is WAY overdue, and since I'm going to be running the tractor all winter (for the first time), I better get it changed. I've changed all the rest of the filters a few times, but could never get the fuel filter bowl open - it's always pretty spoogy, which doesn't help matters.

What I do remember is not being able to get the bowl open, and I didn't want to force anything w/o knowing exactly how it comes apart. How does the filter bowl open? There appears to be a locking ring at the top of the bowl - does the bowl spin off of this ring (turn the bowl), or does the ring spin above the bowl (hold the bowl still)? If it turns out to be stubborn (like I remember), are there any tricks to getting it unstuck?

Thanks much - JayC

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Default Re: Getting fuel filter bowl off

On my L5030, the notched ring unscrews and the glass bowl comes down. It is really hard to turn.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952

I have a L3000dt and it has the spin-off cartridge, i always turn it over and pour the contents out into a jar to check for what was caught and the water contents.Most of trash will stay in the element,so I tear it open and look again just for satisfaction. We have done this for years on our gen-sets to check for Fungus in fuel..Jy.
    Okay, Legal disclaimer: Old but not senile, definitely do not have the answer to everything!

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L5030HSTC

Like TripleR, I get a pair of large channel locks, carefully put then on the ring above the glass bowl, carefully apply enough pressure to unscrew the ring..bowl will drop away when it is completely unscrewed. Going back on, make sure you have a new replacement filter gasket and tighten only sufficiently to stop fuel leaks.

Be aware that, at least on my L5030, there is a procedure for purging air from the system after you replace fuel filter or get air in line..... need to do this procedure else may not start/run afterward.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Have you checked Messick's website, they use to have service stuff there.

http://www.messicks.com/blog/post/Ku...s-Service.aspx
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L5030HSTC

Like TripleR, I get a pair of large channel locks, carefully put them on the ring above the glass bowl, carefully apply enough pressure to unscrew the ring..bowl will drop away when it is completely unscrewed. Going back on, make sure you have a new replacement filter gasket and tighten only sufficiently to stop fuel leaks.

Be aware that, at least on my L5030, there is a procedure for purging air from the system after you replace fuel filter or get air in line..... need to do this procedure else may not start/run afterward.

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Tractor
    L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211

Quote Originally Posted by texasjohn View Post
    Like TripleR, I get a pair of large channel locks, carefully put them on the ring above the glass bowl, carefully apply enough pressure to unscrew the ring..bowl will drop away when it is completely unscrewed. Going back on, make sure you have a new replacement filter gasket and tighten only sufficiently to stop fuel leaks.

Is the filter "gasket" an o-ring? And yes, I have to purge air as well - that part is in the manual.

JayC

Veteran Member

Jay, can you remove the filter bowl assembly from the fuel tank? Once in your hands it will be much easer to take apart. Remember to drain the fuel tank first. Good luck.

Super Star Member
    Tractor

On the L5030, the gasket is an O ring, there should be a diagram in your manual. Our M8540 is a cartridge type where you just unscrew the old one and screw on a new one.

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L5030HSTC

TripleR, as often happens, you are one step ahead of me with the complete and right answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast