Extended warranty is it worth it?

/ Extended warranty is it worth it? #1  

Raddly

Tractor
Kubota B7800
Extended warranty is it worth it? I'm interested in your opinions. I own a B7800 with almost 300 hr, I use the tractor on my 10 ac of land. She gets a good workout but is not abused.
The extended warranty gives the same coverage as the basic warranty.

Thanks For your opinions.

Stephen

/ Extended warranty is it worth it? #2  
no no had to have five letters

/ Extended warranty is it worth it? #3  
I'm guessing you'll find this to have many varies opinions, and in truth it's one of the personal things. I do not find extended warranties useful on anything and almost always pass on them. In effect that makes me more or less self-insured (or self-warranted, if there is such a thing) on my stuff.....and I can live with that, but many others cannot. Just seems to me that warranties, even extended ones, only cover things when they are relatively new and unused, which is usually when there will be no problems.

/ Extended warranty is it worth it? #4  
I never have had one ... just don't think its a deal.

/ Extended warranty is it worth it? #5  
I am in the business and I have never owned one. Ken Sweet

/ Extended warranty is it worth it? #6  
Extended warranty is it worth it? I'm interested in your opinions....
Stephen

I've often wondered if mechanical things have a bit of magic and predestination built right in. What I mean is that when I was a young mechanic years ago I began to notice that people tend to get mechanical troubles in proportion to their ability to deal with them. For example, my wife's truck might suffer flat tires and dead batteries, mine tends toward flat cams and dead relay contacts. She burns out a taillight bulb; I burn out an O2 sensor....that sort of thing.

Wait a minute, I'm really going somewhere with this idea. Where it's headed is toward a decision of how an extended warranty fits your own machinery. Now an extended warranty wouldn't do my wife a bit a good. Her truck rarely breaks down, and if it does it is likely to be cheap to fix and besides...I'm there. For me it's a different story. I like to buy new tools ( a tractor is a tool) which I cherish with love and devotion which it invariably returns by breaking in the most frustrating way possible and right after the factory warranty expires. It wasn't until extended warranties became available that I finally got ahead of this curve.

Being the type of guy who prefers to fix things myself I'd never take anything to a repairman if the work needed is anywhere near my capability. I'll actually do the work for the fun of doing it with the expectation that the tool and I will develop the kind of relationship where we take care of each other forever. Not surprisingly, I still have most of the tools and tractors I've ever owned. Even the ones that are retired....but that's another story.

The thing I'm trying to build up to is that on parts alone I've never had an extended warranty fail to pay off.Two to one being the worst payoff, and BTW that was on a tractor. The best bet was on a brand new SUV (Toyota) where it yielded better than 10:1 on parts alone. The average over 15 years now is - now I'm just guessing - maybe about four to one. On the other hand, I never buy an extended warranty on a household appliance or anything electrical. Experience show that those things seems to work for me for decades with no attention at all....that probably explains why our home sound system still has a built in "turntable" - whatever that is...

So I'd say that only you can answer the extended warranty question because it turns out to be more personal than mechanical. And because you probably already know your answer...
Enjoy! rScotty

/ Extended warranty is it worth it? #7  
If it was very VERY cheap... I would think about it but the fact is that *most* of these tractors are reliable. I would search on TBN to see if the B7800 has any issues or problems that are common (front axle??). What I've seen covered with the warranty... it's not worth it.

/ Extended warranty is it worth it? #8  
I didn't purchase ex- warranty,but if I was in business I check into it.

/ Extended warranty is it worth it? #9  
You may never need the warranty but reaching up to 5years or 7500 hrs for around $2000 isnt bad if you ever do need it and thats bumper to bumper coverage. I got it on both of my new tractors (but I use all of my tractors alot more than most people) :thumbsup:

/ Extended warranty is it worth it? #10  
I quit buying them years ago.