PTO Drive shaft issue on snowblower

/ PTO Drive shaft issue on snowblower #1  

jrogers

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 2630HSD
I have a B2630 with a 63" snowblower with a quick hitch. I bought it used this summer, with around 100 hours on it.

I put the quick hitch and snowblower on, but the drive shaft does not seem to fit right between the mid PTO output and the quickhitch assembly. It fits fine at the rear where there is a lock ring and it clicks in, but at the front it has only about 1" of shaft on the spline, even though it looks like the spline is 3" long. I don't see any why that the quick hitch can be adjusted to the rear, and this drive shaft is a fixed length, so I am not sure what the problem is. I am concern that the drive shaft will drop off the spline when running and cause huge problems.

Any ideas?

/ PTO Drive shaft issue on snowblower #2  
About your snow blower:

You may have to remove the shaft halves and clean them with some DL hand cleaner and then use some rubbing alcohol to clean them further with a small steel wire brush

I am assuming you are viewing the shaft with the blower raised-

as long as you have one inch of spline within the female half of the propeller shaft you should have no issues.

Please remember that the blower is raised and lowered by the hydraulic system and the male spline will extend and retract into the female spline half.

Most likely you have very fine dirt attached to the male and female splines.

/ PTO Drive shaft issue on snowblower
There is no issue with dirt or the shafts going together, it was just the amound of overlap of the shaft that was causing me concern. I did not think about the issue that the anount of overlap may increase when the snowblower is lowered. I will take a look at it in the down position.

Thank you!

/ PTO Drive shaft issue on snowblower #4  
You might have to take off the quick hitch. It is causing the blower to mount farther back thus requiring the shaft to be extended more.

/ PTO Drive shaft issue on snowblower #5  
I assume the quick hitch is how the blower is attached. Removing it is not an option. Is this the model that fits your machine? If it is from another tractor model, perhaps that may explain the shaft overlap issue. The 2750 blower on my BX2200 with its quick attach does not have this little (1") overlap.

/ PTO Drive shaft issue on snowblower
OK, I was able to figure it out today. The shaft on the quick hitch has two collars with set screws that were loose, alllowing it to move forward. I was able to slide it aft so that there was about 2 inches of spline in the collar, and then tighten the set screws.

/ PTO Drive shaft issue on snowblower #7  
I am glad its a simple fix; I would remove the set screws and drip some blue loctite on the set screw threads if I were you to make sure they stay there.

The Blue Loctite allows you to remove the set screws if needed.