Racor filter on a bx24

/ Racor filter on a bx24 #1  

roma3112

Silver Member
Tractor
simplicity 3112h
I was thinking about putting a Racor Fuel water seperating filter on my bx24. I was wondering If any of you have done this and if so which model/size you used. I have seen a few different sizes on ebay. I was also wondering what a sufficient micron rating would be for a bx-engine, I have seen varying sizes from 10 to 2 microns. I was looking at this filter as a possibility:
RAYCOR Fuel Filter / Water Separator - NEW!: eBay Motors (item 350399807104 end time Nov-30-10 05:25:44 PST)
Any suggestions/cautions tips are welcomed

thanks

/ Racor filter on a bx24 #2  
Yes, I've installed one on my L3400 because the stock filter is pretty small and only gives you one layer of protection. I used that same filter you linked to. Make sure to install it before the fuel pump. These filter need to work on the suction side of the pump. They do not work as well if you push fuel through them...they need to have fuel pulled through them. I mounted mine on the bottom of the brush guard where it is mostly protected. I'll post a photo later once it get light out.

/ Racor filter on a bx24
Shimon good heads up on the location of the filter assy, actually I had chosen to mount it near the engine where I have the most room which would have been Wrong! Any folks out there know of a unit that can be used after the fuel pump? The bk24 is kind of tight for space underneath pre-fuel pump. Also any imput as far as the micron size I should use on a bx? I can get 2,5,10 30 Thanks for the info.

/ Racor filter on a bx24 #4  
Wondering here...Why Kubota does not put them on is strange...Even my old DEERE had one..

BUT, why do you think you need a "water sep" filter?

/ Racor filter on a bx24 #5  
Shimon good heads up on the location of the filter assy, actually I had chosen to mount it near the engine where I have the most room which would have been Wrong! Any folks out there know of a unit that can be used after the fuel pump? The bk24 is kind of tight for space underneath pre-fuel pump. Also any imput as far as the micron size I should use on a bx? I can get 2,5,10 30 Thanks for the info.

About the Racor installation:

You could mount it anywhere pretty as the pump is doing the work and you will have no worries about fuel drawas the tanks is elevated above the pump.

The you could mount it on the rear of the tractor if you have room on the left side if the remote(s) are on the right side or vice versa.

An even better safer option is simply bolt it to the ROPS if you do not have a hard cab and be sure to use the mounting bracket AND driill through the ROPS and use washers and NYLOCK NUTS-lock washers wont do it.

You will need a bit more hose but thats no problem as the fuel line will be easy to route through the frame and you can correct any possible binding areas by using loom clamps for the feeder line and return line

Fuel flow is not an issue and you will have a beter tractor for your effort.

The 2 micron filter will allow you to protect your engine and fuel system and reduce the smoke too.

You will use a few more filters but the protection is worth the expense as the filters are the same size for all the 1100 model units.

no worries use the rops and the filter will be safe and cozy.

Be sure to mount it on the inside edge of the rops to avoid and chance of banging it with something (if room allows and you can safely control the tractor with it on the inside edge of the ROPS.

If You mount it on the rops be sure to have a coffee can handy to drain the water and dirt/crap into to avoid staining the fender.

/ Racor filter on a bx24 #6  
Wondering here...Why Kubota does not put them on is strange...Even my old DEERE had one..

BUT, why do you think you need a "water sep" filter?

They dont worry about dirty fuel too much as they filter everything from what I have read and remember reading about diesel fuel dispensing in japan- all 2 micron from what I read I think anyway.

You would be amazed at all the crap and water you pull out of your fuel even at 5 micron and double that with a 2 micron unit.

Be sure to buy the Raycor 1100 unit with the thermostatically controlled fuel element which is located in the drain bowl and it will preheat the fuel before it enters the indirect injection pump which will also lengthen the life of your fuel pump.

you could conect the fuel heater to the hot side of the battery and use a 15 amp fuse to protect it.

You will be saving and lengthening the life of your engine and you will see a better running power unit.

/ Racor filter on a bx24 #7  
Here are three photos of my install. It's well protected and fairly easy to get to. I installed a hose on the water drain so I can drain into a container instead of dumping on the ground.

As for why you would want a water separator...there is most always water in fuel tanks and water and fuel injection components do not play well together. The filter bowl on tractor is small and one time when using it to run my generator for hours on end during a power outage...I saw the fuel filter bowl was 3/4 full of water. Luckily I caught it in time and I immediately installed a water separating Racor filter which has helped my peace of mind.

Attachments

• DSC_5880.jpg
    DSC_5880.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 766
  • DSC_5881.jpg
    DSC_5881.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 555
  • DSC_5879.jpg
    DSC_5879.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 528
   / Racor filter on a bx24 #8  

You can just re-route hoses. That's what I did. Most water separating filters work on vacuum not pressure. You can get a plain-jane fuel filter to work on the pressure side. As for micron rating...I would use any of them. They will all work fine. There is a debate as to which micron rating to use for a primary filter (secondary filter being the engine mounted final filter). When using multi-stage filtration it's best to use a 30 or 10 micron primary filter and then the secondary filter is usually 2-6 microns. Not sure what the micron rating for the Kubota is. BUT...this tractor isn't going to the moon so I don't think in that it really matters. Just use whatever micron filter you have from 2-30.

/ Racor filter on a bx24
thanks for the good information i have an offer on a 120as racor unit on ebay and we will see what happens. I may try to mount the filter under the hood of the bx24, i will have to buy some fuel line at autozone to re-route the flow but i think it will e a cleaner install. I have not found any "1100" series units with a thermostatically controled fuel element?? Is this a bit overkill for a bx? I cant seem to find any such animal.

thanks

/ Racor filter on a bx24 #10  
No its not overkill for a BX;

Dont put the filter under the hood as the heat sheild will become an issue and a big fire posssibility.

look at the RACOR web site which is now part of parker hydraulics to see them and I will add a picture here.

Attachments

• racor diesel filter example.jpg
    racor diesel filter example.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 703
  • 51838334-3c69-4c56-a83b-45aacd0c5ee3.jpg
    51838334-3c69-4c56-a83b-45aacd0c5ee3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 356
Last edited: