Kubota crank up shut off

/ Kubota crank up shut off #1  

Agrantina

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3240 GST
Sorry- may be a dumb question but I have to move my tractor in an out of the garage often. Manily when I need to work on something- weld- or bang on something. My question is I guess its not good to crank it up move it 25ft and shut it off.. Hour later do the same. Thing runs about 30 seconds to move. Should I periodically let it run and warm up or does it matter.. All the other tractors I have used were at our land or I would go get and use all day. Never had this problem and was wondering how to handle a NEW diesel with 48 hrs. Did 50 service last week on the L3240 GST

AndyG

/ Kubota crank up shut off #2  
Sorry- may be a dumb question but I have to move my tractor in an out of the garage often. Manily when I need to work on something- weld- or bang on something. My question is I guess its not good to crank it up move it 25ft and shut it off.. Hour later do the same. Thing runs about 30 seconds to move. Should I periodically let it run and warm up or does it matter.. All the other tractors I have used were at our land or I would go get and use all day. Never had this problem and was wondering how to handle a NEW diesel with 48 hrs. Did 50 service last week on the L3240 GST

AndyG

How else are you going to move it Andy?

let it idle for a minute then move it.

As long as the oil pump works and the engine is cold or warm do not worry about it unless the oil level is low.

The actual act of starting an internal combustion engine is the action that creates the most wear, do not run it from a cold start with an implement period.

If you want to add life to the engine you can buy an oil pump/heater to circulate the crankcase oil prior to engaging the starter.

/ Kubota crank up shut off #3  
I agree. If you have to move it once in awhile, you aren't hurting anything. And as leonz mentioned, most of the wear is at start up. So DONT start it with the throttle wide open or hit the gass immediatly after she fires up. Start it, wait just a few seconds for oil to circulate, and move it.

No point in wasting diesel either just to let it warm up and then shut it off.

Just as long as you do run the tractor every so often for a few hrs till she gets good and warm, you will be fine. Short few minute runs causes condensation inside the engine, this moisture mixes with the oil. The only way to get rid of it is to either change the oil or let her get totally warmed up and then it boils off and is sucked out of the crankcase by the PCV. But you dont have to worry about it unless you do it everyday all winter and NEVER run it for a few hours to boil the moisture out.

/ Kubota crank up shut off
Thanks-- I really have no other way to move it other than cranking it up but I have never had a NEW one so didnt know if it hurt it during--break in---:confused: But sounds like I am ok...

AndyG