Oil & Fuel BX25 oil dipstick markings - how much oil?

/ BX25 oil dipstick markings - how much oil? #1  

check

Elite Member
Dorset (cottage country) and Toronto, Ontario, Can
Tractor
2009 Kubota BX25
I just did my 200 hour oil change on my BX25, and found that the tractor took more oil than the manual said it would. The manual says 3.1 litres, but I was up to almost 4 and still not up to the upper marking hole on the dipstick. As well, the manual seems to show a sort of cross-hatched area on the dipstick to show the lower and upper limits for the oil, whereas my dipstick simply had and upper and a lower hole, with quite a range in between (maybe 2 inches or more). After refilling, I was still slightly below the upper hole, but as I said that was with almost 4 litres of new oil poured in! (I also put a new oil filter on.)

Did I possibly overfill it?

/ BX25 oil dipstick markings - how much oil? #2  
If the level is between the two marks you're fine. The stated capacity should put the level approximately in the middle. No need to fill to the top.

/ BX25 oil dipstick markings - how much oil? #3  
Do you have two oil dip sticks in this motor(which is common on some Kubota prime movers).

Did you fill the oil filter prior to installation?

Always use the upper high mark and you will have no worries as the crankcase is vented.

The cross hatching is an oil retension measure for hot engines and it works well, some of the dip sticks also have the holes etc.

Last edited:
   / BX25 oil dipstick markings - how much oil?
Do you have two oil dip sticks in this motor(which is common on some Kubota prime movers).

Did you fill the oil filter prior to installation?

Always use the upper high mark and you will have no worries as the crankcase is vented.

The cross hatching is an oil retension measure for hot engines and it works well, some of the dip sticks also have the holes etc.

Well, no, I didn't fill the oil filter. Is that a problem?

/ BX25 oil dipstick markings - how much oil? #5  
Well, no, I didn't fill the oil filter. Is that a problem?

No. The oil would dump out when you tried to screw it on the engine since the filter is horizontal.

/ BX25 oil dipstick markings - how much oil? #6  
Interesting...Mine has been to the top since the dealer delivered it...

/ BX25 oil dipstick markings - how much oil? #7  
Just did engine oil and filter on my BX2660 an it took 4.75 quarts. Was supposed to take only 3.7 quarts. That small filter sure doesn't hold a quart. :confused:

/ BX25 oil dipstick markings - how much oil? #8  
The idea is not to have the oil level so high that the crankshaft will touch the oil which will churn it up and cause air bubbles. The oil pump could suck air and lose prime or not provide a constant flow of oil. On most cars you could easily add an extra quart with no problem and some old-timers did when they took a long highway trip-there was easily a quart rolling around on top of the cylinder heads. If it makes you sleep better fill to just below the top mark