Battery life for BX series

/ Battery life for BX series #1  

magnatic

Bronze Member
Tractor
2006 BX2350
What's the average life expectancy for an OEM battery in BX series? I understand it may be relative to many factors, but how many years of service did you get before replacing the original battery?
Thanks.

/ Battery life for BX series #2  
The battery that came in my 1500 is 10 yrs old and workinfine in the John Deere. I put a 1000CA battery in the BX cuz it has an inverter on it.
larry

/ Battery life for BX series #3  
My BX23, purchaced spring of 2004, is still going strong on the original battery.
The worst thing for a battery is to leave it in a discharged state. I use my tractor fairly often, so it is kept up on charge. If you store it for extended periods, use a trickle type battery charger, especially if the tractor is kept in an un-heated storage.

/ Battery life for BX series #4  
I have a 2007 BX24 using the orginal battery. During the winter, I keep it plugged into a auto Battery Tender @ 2 amps. Never had a problem yet.:thumbsup:

/ Battery life for BX series #5  
been using my BX for 4 years with same battery, no trickle charging at all. I use it often so not worried about battery state in unheated garage. I'll be happy if I get 10 years or so out of the battery.6 years to go, knocking on wood.

/ Battery life for BX series #6  
I got my BX23 in 2004 and the battery is still fine. I do not use a charger, but I do use a block heater when it is below freezing. That being said it will probably die this winter:laughing:.

/ Battery life for BX series #7  
For the poster with 10 years on the same battery- you are an extremely rare individual. I suppose if batteries arent used much they last longer. I have never been able to get much more than 3-4 years on any car battery regardless of brand name. Car batteries are in heavy service compared to tractors that may run several hours carrying minimal if any load whereas cars have all kinds of electrical load and constantly discharge and charge. I get about 4 years on my boat batteries if I use it every weekend. Now my boat has been garaged for 3 years and the battery is still good and hot. I check it occassionally and recharge it when needed.

/ Battery life for BX series #8  
I have a 2007 BX24 using the orginal battery. During the winter, I keep it plugged into a auto Battery Tender @ 2 amps. Never had a problem yet.:thumbsup:

I started putting all my batteries on a maintainer/tender several years ago through the winter months (times where I did not use my equipment very much or at all). I my opinion, that is the best thing you can do.

My maintainter automatically starts/stops charging based on battery state. I think mine is 1.5 amps or so. Plug it in and never look at it until it is time to unplug it and start using the equipment. Totally worry-free.

I use them on my camper, riding mower, tractor, generators (2), motorcycle and one of my vehicles that doesn't get driven much.

Over the years, before I started plugging my batteries into a maintainer, I quickly noticed that the batteries that lasted the longest were in vehicles that I drove A LOT. Just sitting is the worst thing for your battery.

/ Battery life for BX series #9  
I agree with rjkobberman on this. The first thing I do when I get a new vehicle (ATV, motorcycle, tractor, etc) is attach a SAE pigtail to the battery. I have at least one desulfating charger (Optimate III) in each garage and they are kept plugged into one of the vehicles all the time, just switch it every day or so. I also check the water level often and keep them topped up with distilled water. My Kubota, bought new in 2003, is still on it's original battery which I think is pretty good.

/ Battery life for BX series #10  
The battery in my Kubota is still going strong since 2006. It's made by Deka, which is an excellent battery company and is probably the same brand in the others that have good long battery life in their BX's. When it does go, I plan to replace with the same brand.