Loader Pallet Forks for BX or B-Series

/ Pallet Forks for BX or B-Series #1  

My Hoe

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3000HSDCC, BH77, 5' Belly Mower, 6' Hyd. Angle Plow
Hi all,

I am in the market for a used BX or one of the B's. I have a few questions in this regard, and I can't yet decide if I want a BX or a B. I also expect to be "skinned" for at least one of my questions (lifting people up in the bucket--I know--probably a bad idea) but I did grow up in my family's construction company, and have operated a few machines, including a Cat 977 front end loader (complete with a "DEcelerator" LOL), some backhoes, a dozer or two, a 10-wheel dump, a Maxidyne twin-screw R-Model and some hydraulic cranes, but just on "yard jobs"--I'm not licensed for crane work, for example, nor do I have my CDL.

Why lift someone up? I'm not sure, but a friend picks apples this way,:D (albeit with a small, tracked, front end loader) and I have a 9 1/2' tall container I need to paint/trim brush off of frequently, and a cap to wax, on top of my (tall) F-250, and I just thought it might come in handy. (Of course, I have no one I trust to operate while I ride in the bucket, so that's a problem right there--LOL).

I also understand that there would be no "riding" in the bucket while the tractor was moving--my thought was to get it in place, get in the bucket/cage, and have someone raise me up while NOT driving around! LOL

Given my budget, I would probably be looking at machines from the early 2000's vintage--excluding any of the 50-series.

Please assume the hoe would be attached, for ballast, during these shenanigans.

My Pallet Fork Questions, re: BX's and B's:

1. Is there a pallet fork kit that works well for these models? My searches have yielded mixed results.

2. Does it require modification to the bucket? (I weld, but I would hire this job out--I know a good fab shop I trust--I'll get hooks added at that time, too).

3. Can even the BX accept full-size pallet forks that would fully go under a 4'x4' pallet? (I've seen some lightweight pallet forks that looked pretty long--the light weight appeals as I don't want to cut into the BX's limited lifting capacity.)

4. Here's my thought: a 4'x4' pallet, on 4' long forks, chained (with binders) to the bucket. A cage, welded up from 1" square tube, open on the bucket/machine side, bolted securely to the hardwood pallet, and chained to the bucket hooks, forming a "man cage" similar in concept to a "man basket" used to lift workers with a crane. I'd be standing on the pallet, inside the cage, and even if the operator "dumped" me, by accident, I'd be able to cling to the cage and live to tell you all about it (knock on wood three times).

5. For Folks Who Can Do Math:
How much would a 4'x4' pallet, on forks, decrease the lifting capacity of a BX, not just by the weight of pallet/cage/man, but DUE TO THE EXTENDED LEVER-ARM FORMED BY THE 4' LONG EXTENSION OF THE PALLET ITSELF?

6. Would it be just prudent, or NECESSARY, to lower the hoe's outriggers, for additional stability, when lifting humans? (I'm sure the BX's would need this more than the B's?)

7. The B's confuse me--I don't have experience with either a BX or a B (TLB) but I've read more about the BX's. I realize my year range 2000+ means even the BX's have grown in size/weight, but roughly, how much wider, and heavier (i.e., more STABLE) is your average B TLB than a BX?

8. Can anyone recommend any suppliers for pallet fork kits for the BX's and B TLB's?

Thank you all, in advance, for taking my noob questions.

My Hoe

Last edited:
   / Pallet Forks for BX or B-Series #2  
Here are my forks that I have used on BX's and B's. They slide over the top of the bucket with a long arm under the bucket and a chain wraps around and ratchet them tight. Easy and quick to install and remove. Biggest problem is they will spread out or in at the tips if you hit the tips on the side edge.

Also sending pictures of a BX2660 side by side with a B3200 for comparison. The weight between some B's and BX's will not be great. Biggest difference is ground clearance and BX's have the plastic fan that has to be protected. This BX has the mid mount mower but with it removed there isn't a hugh difference but a small difference can make the difference on some jobs.

Attachments

• P1050836.jpg
    P1050836.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 3,150
  • P1050891.jpg
    P1050891.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 522
  • P1050871.jpg
    P1050871.jpg
    660.8 KB · Views: 566
  • P1060393.JPG
    P1060393.JPG
    994.2 KB · Views: 1,049
  • P1060048.jpg
    P1060048.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 1,181
  • P1060028.JPG
    P1060028.JPG
    998.2 KB · Views: 794
  • P1060025.jpg
    P1060025.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 648
  • P1060016.JPG
    P1060016.JPG
    993 KB · Views: 1,615
   / Pallet Forks for BX or B-Series #3  
Just last week I fabbed up forks for my B2400. Bought them off Ebay for $229 shipped! I had the make the loader arm brackets, not that difficult, and plenty heavy duty. There 36'' long, perfect for pallets.

/ Pallet Forks for BX or B-Series #5  
I built my own slip on forks for the bucket on my BX. I have a feeling that the BX front tires are a little too soft for fork work since its a 4 ply or tire size. perhaps john thomas can comment on this. I would think the B is better for fork work more for safety then the BX due larger front tires- just can't be sure about that. I used my BX to move roofing shingles for roofing job several times and it did fine. I really dont think there is much difference in B and BX for lifting when lifting a person, let's just say for picking apples. I think its all in the trust with operator. :D:laughing:

/ Pallet Forks for BX or B-Series #6  
I built my own slip on forks for the bucket on my BX. I have a feeling that the BX front tires are a little too soft for fork work since its a 4 ply or tire size. perhaps john thomas can comment on this. I would think the B is better for fork work more for safety then the BX due larger front tires- just can't be sure about that. I used my BX to move roofing shingles for roofing job several times and it did fine. I really dont think there is much difference in B and BX for lifting when lifting a person, let's just say for picking apples. I think its all in the trust with operator. :D:laughing:
I had one front turf tire on all BX's go flat. Don't think it was the loader. I have R4/I4 tires on current BX25 which I feel secure with doing FEL or BH work. No front tire flat on these current tires.

/ Pallet Forks for BX or B-Series #7  
This is what I use on my B2620, and find them very well matched, and useful for a number of different jobs.

Attachments

• Forks 008.jpg
    Forks 008.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 1,182
  • Forks 011.jpg
    Forks 011.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 697
  • Forks 013.jpg
    Forks 013.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 737
  • Forks 014.jpg
    Forks 014.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 727
   / Pallet Forks for BX or B-Series #8  
There are numerous discussions on all these questions in the archives. You can use the search function. I'll try to dig up a few and post some links for you.

I have brush forks for my BX; I find them more versatile than pallet forks. I also have a carry-all for the 3ph that can lift and transport pallets; it just can't lift them very high. If you want to stack heavily laden pallets at full reach height like a forklift does, that takes a heavy tractor and operator skill.

There is a discussion way back in the archives, possibly 6 or 7 years back, of someone who built a painter's platform on the FEL of his Kubota. It made an easily movable substitute for scaffolding. TBN did a server change around 5 years ago and it can be difficult to search for and link to threads that were prior to that. It might require manually scrolling through the entire list of threads

I will try to add some links for you as I have some time and are able to find them later in the day or this weekend.

/ Pallet Forks for BX or B-Series #9  
On my B3200 I recently bought the Kubota QA and Pallet forks. The dealer said if I went with the SS QA that I would lose some lifting (about 150# IIRC) because they stick out a bit further. Since I was not planning on other attachements for the front I went for the proprietary Kubota QA, I realize I'm locked into Kubota for future needs but that was fine for me.

It takes me about 2-3 minutes not to change from bucket to forks. A bit pricey but for me it was worth the $$.

/ Pallet Forks for BX or B-Series #10  
These are forks that I got from B-Xpanded. Haven't used them on pallets yet, but will soon. Easy on, easy off.....snap-on quick-release - clamps onto top of loader, nice and strong (like B-Xpanded's hooks, one of which is also on my loader in these pics) and then the forks are attached to the clamps with a strong pin.

Attachments

• CIMG0395x.JPG
    CIMG0395x.JPG
    744.1 KB · Views: 888
  • CIMG0400x.JPG
    CIMG0400x.JPG
    745.2 KB · Views: 1,033