Correct air filter setup for an L200 / L210?

/ Correct air filter setup for an L200 / L210? #1  

StorminN

Hi guys,

I recently bought an old L200, and I'm going through it little by little, trying to make things right...

The air filter on this tractor consists of an air cyclone and an oil bath filter, with an element sitting above the oil bath (see diagram from parts manual below).

Here's my question... the air filter element that came with my tractor doesn't seem to match the diagram in the parts manual (however, the parts manual is for both the L200 & L210, and there are other small discrepancies on other parts of the tractor, so it could be wrong)... but I can't figure out how the filter element I have is supposed to work, in the housing that it's in...

As far as I can tell as it is now, the intake air could come down the center tube from the cyclone, but it sort of dead-ends in the center of the air filter element... there's no place for it to go... and the way the element fits in the bottom pan, it's too small so there's a gap around the outside, as it sits in the pan. I don't think it's supposed to sit in the pan at all, I think it's supposed to be bigger in diameter, and therefore bridge the gap between the upper assembly and the lower oil bath pan.

I've been scratching my head on this one, let me know what you think. I think all the intake air is bypassing the cyclone and the oil bath altogether, and just going through the element... here's some pics. Any guys out there with a L200 or L210, if you've got pics of your air cleaner setups, I'd love to see them...

Thanks!
-Norm.

kb_air_cleaner_and_exhaust_diag.jpg

kb_air_cleaner1.jpg

kb_air_cleaner2.jpg

kb_air_cleaner3.jpg

kb_air_cleaner4.jpg

/ Correct air filter setup for an L200 / L210? #2  
Hello Norm,

The oil bath intake air pre-cleaner is your best friend.

The air is sucked through the cylone pre-cleaner and

any heavy dirt is separated by the cyclone and then the air

travels to the bottom where the air flows over the oil path

reservoir and falls in to the oil to collect the dirt.

The material in the air cleaner helps to clean the air even more

before it enters the air intake manifold.

There is a line for the oil level in the bottom cup and it has to be

maintained. the primary trap which is the base mesh rests just above

the oil surface in the base.

Oil bath air cleaners come in lts lots of sizes and you have no worries there as the engine was assembled with what ever inventory that the parts room had at the time. no worries there norm.

If you are concerned you could order the the middle and lower parts and replace the single bowl with the larger steel mesh wool center filter section/trap.

You will need a new oil bowl and bolt/rod for the filter housing.

Another option is a Duetz replacement oil bath air precleaner with a cyclone as well
I used them for years at my old job and I can tell you they work very well all the time and will not plug like paper filters.

Last edited: