Cooling System,Thermostat

/ Cooling System,Thermostat #1  

alvanko

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM186D & Ford LGT14D Dixon Z BX2200D Kubota
I have an L2201DT Kubota , same thing as an L245DT . Same engine . I did some repair/preventive maintanance this past week and am confused . I replaced the radiator , all hoses , water pump , belt and thermostat . I flushed the system throughly before adding a 40/60 anti-freeze mix . I went out and worked the tractor today , not very hard , but it ran for about 2 hours without turning off . Temperature here is in the upper 40's . When I finisned working I pulled into the garage just to grease and give it a quick look over and thought I'd check the radiator hoses . Top hose was hot and the lower hose was almost ice cold . This thing doesn't have a temperature guage but it has a whistle on the overflow . It didn't over heat(I don't think) .Why is the bottom hose cold ? Do you think the thermostat is stuck closed ? Maybe it never got hot enough to open ? Engine and top of radiator were hot . I'm guessing thermostat . How hot does it need to be before it opens ? I used an oem($14 !!) thermostat . Suggestions ? Advise ? When I opened the cap the water was not "flowing". I asume the only circulation was through the bypass hose . I don't want to over heat the thing but I would like it to get to proper operating temperature . I'm confused !

Attachments

• 2-206852-kubota1.jpg
    2-206852-kubota1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 193
   / Cooling System,Thermostat #2  
Allan

You sure it had a water pump??

My L1501 (Same as L185 - Smaller version of a L245) uses a thermosyphon cooling system. Water circulates due to convection.

Colder water sinks and pulls water through that way.

My bottom radiator hose is surprisingly cold when mine is running too.

I assume they have a fairly large radiator and efficient fan and the system works well.

I didn't know mine had a thermostat either so maybe your system is different to mine??

/ Cooling System,Thermostat
Positive it had a water pump ($115) Bearings were bad in the original one (20 some years old)

/ Cooling System,Thermostat #4  
Sounds to me like your cooling system is working fine.

/ Cooling System,Thermostat
Maybe it is working fine . I'm just curious because I never see the water circulate .

/ Cooling System,Thermostat #6  
Sorry Allan

Wasn't really doubting you. I am sure if I had reaplaced a water pump, I'd know what it was too /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I was sure all those models had a thermosyphon system.

Cheers