Tractor
    Yanmar YM186D & Ford LGT14D

Default Cooling System,Thermostat

I have an L2201DT kubota , same thing as an L245DT . Same engine . I did some repair/preventive maintanance this past week and am confused . I replaced the radiator , all hoses , water pump , belt and thermostat . I flushed the system throughly before adding a 40/60 anti-freeze mix . I went out and worked the tractor today , not very hard , but it ran for about 2 hours without turning off . Temperature here is in the upper 40's . When I finisned working I pulled into the garage just to grease and give it a quick look over and thought I'd check the radiator hoses . Top hose was hot and the lower hose was almost ice cold . This thing doesn't have a temperature guage but it has a whistle on the overflow . It didn't over heat(I don't think) .Why is the bottom hose cold ? Do you think the thermostat is stuck closed ? Maybe it never got hot enough to open ? Engine and top of radiator were hot . I'm guessing thermostat . How hot does it need to be before it opens ? I used an oem($14 !!) thermostat . Suggestions ? Advise ? When I opened the cap the water was not "flowing". I asume the only circulation was through the bypass hose . I don't want to over heat the thing but I would like it to get to proper operating temperature . I'm confused !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L1-20 DT

Default Re: Cooling System,Thermostat

Allan

You sure it had a water pump??

My L1501 (Same as L185 - Smaller version of a L245) uses a thermosyphon cooling system. Water circulates due to convection.

Colder water sinks and pulls water through that way.

My bottom radiator hose is surprisingly cold when mine is running too.

I assume they have a fairly large radiator and efficient fan and the system works well.

I didn't know mine had a thermostat either so maybe your system is different to mine??

Tractor

Positive it had a water pump ($115) Bearings were bad in the original one (20 some years old)

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    BX2200

Sounds to me like your cooling system is working fine.

Tractor

Maybe it is working fine . I'm just curious because I never see the water circulate .

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L1-20 DT

Sorry Allan

Wasn't really doubting you. I am sure if I had reaplaced a water pump, I'd know what it was too [img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I was sure all those models had a thermosyphon system.

Cheers