snap rings

/ snap rings #1  

bellweather

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX22
I do not like snap rings; they are difficult to install and remove. Is there anything wrong with using a hairpin in place of a snap ring, say for example where the lift rods attach to the lift arms on my BX22 3-PH, or the ones that retain the anti-scalp rollers on my MMM? Snap rings are probably more secure, but they are annoying to use. Any comments would be appreciated.

/ snap rings #2  
Is it really a split ring? Kubota used them in two places on the lift arms. I liked them so much, I ordered ten of them to replace the cotter pins used on the mmm connecting pins. It's the only thing that's made installing and removing the mmm almost bearable. The seven pins needed to hook everything up are a real PITA.

On the split rings one end is bent slightly, so I've never had a problem installing them even when I couldn't see the pin. The hairpins you're thinking about or linch pins can get snagged and pulled out. Then you have a problem.

/ snap rings #3  
bellweather
I have replaced a few of the rings with Hairpin clips and Linch pins. They make it a lot easier to install and remove the tilt cylinder from my Top & Tilt kit.

I have had rings get caught on something and bend to the point where I could not remove it. Ended up cutting it out. If I had a clip or linch pin it place it may have been pulled out. Which would have caused other problems.

/ snap rings
In the manual they are called snap-rings. They look just like a key ring - a single piece of round steel wire that is formed into an overlapping circle. I'm impressed that you find them easy to use. Maybe if I used some needlenose pliers and bend the end it would make it easier to force the coil open to facilitate insertion? Thanks for the input.

/ snap rings #5  
I don't know why Kubota chose to call them snap rings. A true snap ring is completely different. If you look at one end of the so-called Kubota "snap" ring it should be bent slightly outward unlike the split rings used for keys. That's the end which is the lead to either install or remove it. The other end lies flat against the neighboring coil.

I'd like to find some with larger diameters. The ones I'm using are borderline strengthwise. I've seen the coils loosen up after, I'm assuming, something snagged them.