BX Turning Radius

/ BX Turning Radius #1  

kday64

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Hi all,

What is the real turning radius of a BX series tractor?

I have read the operating specs posted on Kubota's website and it says that the minimum turning radius is 7.5 feet (without breaking)? This seems quite high?

I have not test drove one yet in a well marked parking lot so I am looking for assistance in answering this question. If 7.5 feet is the best I can hope for without going into reverse then so be it. If I wanted to turn on a dime I would by a ZTR.

I know similiar questions have been asked but I was unable to find specifics.

Thanks,
~Kevin

/ BX Turning Radius #2  
Just to give you a practical answer without all the calculations, we have a circular flower bed that is 4' in diameter. I can mow around this very easily without turning the wheel full lock. I also have some small trees to mow around (about 2' circle) and it will not mow aroung these without backing up. Without actually testing it, it will probably mow around a circular object about 3' in diameter without having to back up. I am sure you will get more detailed answers from others on here, but this is what I have determined from experience. I have a BX 2350 with a 54" mower deck.

/ BX Turning Radius #3  
Specs on paper can only tell you so much, as you've discovered.

I highly recommend you spend a little time on a BX.

Frankly, it'll turn on a dime and give you 9 cents change. Just want you'd expect from a subcut.

/ BX Turning Radius
Frankly, it'll turn on a dime and give you 9 cents change. Just want you'd expect from a subcut.

Well, you two have certainly answered my question. I just find it weird that they would measure the turning radius (with no break) on a HST. I guess that means full throttle?

Thanks all I maybe next week will produce my xmas gift.

~Kevin

/ BX Turning Radius #5  
I don't think I buy the three foot turning radius. To tell you the truth, the 7.5' sounds about right. I am going by the drive at my house where I often turn around. I think the spec is the path the inside tires take.

/ BX Turning Radius #6  
I Looked it up in my BX23 manual and it says 7.5'. I think that is to the inside of the tractors turn. The mower sticks out a bit, so the inside circle of the mower would be less, meaning a 60" mower would be a smaller circle then the 54". I don't understand what you mean by full throttle.

/ BX Turning Radius #7  
As others have noted, turning radius is only one element of maneuverability, and other than mowing around trees, most BX owners probably never give the actual turning radius a second thought. The BX - and other subcuts also - are only 8 ft long and under 4 ft wide... tiny in comparison to a farm tractor or even a standard CUT. You can do a U turn inside your garage in seconds. When mowing, it doesn't do the quick 180 pivot like a ZTR, but with HST and power steering, it ain't no slouch either. The ability to get into and through tight spaces is pretty amazing. For small projects or tight workspace, that small size actually gets your work done faster than a larger tractor. Not telling you what to do, but the specs don't always give the whole story regarding how products actually work in real life.

/ BX Turning Radius
Grandad4 said:
The specs don't always give the whole story regarding how products actually work in real life.

Grandad4, I agree.

What I ment by full throttle, is fast vice slow. I.e. it seemed to me on my test drive that turn radius was depended on speed. The slower the tighter. Maybe I got a crappy show/test drive because I don't remember there being a break. I just took my foot off the gas.

~Kevin

/ BX Turning Radius #9  
Grandad4, I agree.

What I meant by full throttle, is fast vice slow. I.e. it seemed to me on my test drive that turn radius was depended on speed. The slower the tighter. Maybe I got a crappy show/test drive because I don't remember there being a break. I just took my foot off the gas.

~Kevin

Your turning radius should not vary according to your speed, within reason of course. Speed is determined by a combination of RPM and HST pedal position. There are no turning brakes on the BX and none are needed.

These are very maneuverable tractors.

/ BX Turning Radius #10  
For a larger tractor, dont forget about the New Holland Supersteer option. With that option, you can turn in a 5 ft circle without brakes. Of course with Supersteer, comes the Sensitrack feature, which is a fluid coupling between the front and rear 4 wheel drive sections. to allow for slippage to avoid torque binding. I had one many years ago, and it sure worked well.
James K0UA