Large cutting edge bolted to back of bucket

/ Large cutting edge bolted to back of bucket #1  

BruceWard

Platinum Member
I was at a scrap yard looking for a piece of 4x6x3/8 angle to strengthen the back of my bucket and lucked into a CAT branded cutting edge that is 5' long, 10" high and 1/2 or 5/8 thick for $20.

The 4x6x3/8 angle is mounted to the back of the bucket and has three 5/8" nuts welded to the inside to allow the cutting edge or chain hooks to be attached.

10111704-120.jpg

On Friday I was smoothing out a pot holed church driveway and parking lot. I used the bucket to move around some material to fill the holes. Then drove over that material to compact it. After working for a while with the bucket I bolted on the cutting edge. I use it in reverse with the bucket floated. It worked well. A ~ 30,000 pound tracked loader has been working in the area and left unevenly packed ground. I got the parking lot pretty smooth with the diesel I had but packed up before I ran the tank dry. I am going back next week and plan to try the cutting edge with a full bucket for additional weight.

Here are a few pictures of the cutting edge attached.

10122006-120.jpg

10122005-120.jpg

Perhaps this is not as good as a box blade but it goes on quickly with 3 bolts and takes up a lot less room on the trailer.

/ Large cutting edge bolted to back of bucket #2  
Westendorf used to sell a kit that put a back edge on your bucket - similar idea - but I think your idea looks great.

One design suggestion: If you can manage it, consider moving the nuts up enough that the cutting edge is only proud of the bucket bottom by 1/4" to 1/2". That will give the cutting edge a sturdy backing surface and allow you to keep it on the bucket all the time. It looks very useful, so why take it off if you don't have to?

Also: be careful that you don't engage any "fixed" objects at speed - the loader is designed for pushing and really isn't designed for heavy pulling loads. Would hate to see you tweak your baby.
-Jim

/ Large cutting edge bolted to back of bucket #3  
Westendorf used to sell a kit that put a back edge on your bucket - similar idea - but I think your idea looks great.

One design suggestion: If you can manage it, consider moving the nuts up enough that the cutting edge is only proud of the bucket bottom by 1/4" to 1/2". That will give the cutting edge a sturdy backing surface and allow you to keep it on the bucket all the time. It looks very useful, so why take it off if you don't have to?

Also: be careful that you don't engage any "fixed" objects at speed - the loader is designed for pushing and really isn't designed for heavy pulling loads. Would hate to see you tweak your baby.
-Jim
Nice idea. Looks like you got some very high quality steel for only $0.24/pound.

Baby Grand's idea is also useful. It appears that with the edge extended as far as it is, there is a long lever arm that might even break those bolts, or worse yet, strip the welded-inside nuts.

/ Large cutting edge bolted to back of bucket
I thought about trying to mount it where less of the cutting edge was exposed (sticking down). There is less than 1/4 inch of space between the top of the cutting edge and he bottom of the FEL mounts. The angle iron is notched around the FEL mounts and welded to them.

I have considered cutting the cutting edge in half lengthwise and remounting with less exposed.

If the nuts are damaged I hope I will be able to drill them and tap to 3/4".

For now it seems to be working well but I know an accidental stump or rock could be a real issue.

/ Large cutting edge bolted to back of bucket #5  
Very clever idea. I'ver never seen anything like it. nice job! :thumbsup:

/ Large cutting edge bolted to back of bucket #7  
Somewhat along the same lines;

My buddy had a 3" X 3" X 3/8" angle welded to the bottom rear of his bucket to be able to back grade without wearing out his bucket.
Works good and will last a fair time B4 it needs replacing.

He basically did 3" welds at both ends and one in middle. Always easy to grind away for replacement. (guess it could be bolted as well)