B3200 Differential Lock Question

/ B3200 Differential Lock Question #1  

JTPass

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
I have a B3200 with about 30 hrs on it. I was pulling some saplings out yesterday and had occasion to use my Diff lock. I was in Low range 4WD and didn't have enough traction. I stopped, let the pressure off the chain and applied the diff lock. I started off slowly as to allow the lock to engage. It was obvious that I did have power to both wheels. As I increased the HST the tires hopped a bit (I was on asphalt) and the sappling came out. So far so good. I stopped, released the tractor from 4 WD and released the Diff lock. I backed and went forward and assumed it was unlocked. A few minutes later I had occasion to use the loader. It was in 2 WD and I was on gravel/sand. I lost traction and I could see both rear wheels spinning. That led me to believe that the diff was still locked. From a stop I depressed and released the diff lock and it went down and up as before. Could the diff lock still be engaged, even though the pedal still goes up and down?

/ B3200 Differential Lock Question #2  
I believe it is possible for it to still be locked even though the pedal returns up. Diff lock has always seemed to be uncertain on my machines. It has never been a positive engage and release. If your diff lock was still engaged you would definetly see it when you try to turn. One wheel will be skidding or hopping. It is possible that you just spun both wheels in the gravel without the diff lock being engaged especially doing loader work, the rear tires were probably a little lighter than usual. If the tractor was turning and manuevering the same as usual I would say your diff lock was not engaged.

/ B3200 Differential Lock Question #3  
It's possible that the diff lock might still be engaged, there are a couple of ways to tell, one is to make sure the tractor is in 2wd and drive in a very tight circle and observe the rear tires, the outside tire should be turning at a slightly faster speed than the inside tire and neither tire should be scuffing the ground. Or you could jack up the rear of the tractor and rotate the tires by hand, they should rotate freely and seperately, not locked together.

/ B3200 Differential Lock Question #4  
Mine has stuck a couple of times when new but I could tell because I felt the pedal come up by itself when it became unstuck as I was driving forward. It only stuck for a bit. I would say if the pedal is up and you are turning ok in 2WD things are fine. The pedal would stick down as well, unless something broke which I doubt. All is probably well - drive on.

/ B3200 Differential Lock Question #5  
The four wheel drive will disengage as soon as forward and rear movement is stopped if there is a good balance in lead and lag between the front and rear.

The diff lock also needs the relationship between the two rear or front if so equipped to neutralize as well. To be turning when disengaging would also still leave it engaged until the rears equal out on speed.

When new things are tight and often need a little time to wear into a good fit!

Keep at it and use it the way that you are and I feel all will be better.

/ B3200 Differential Lock Question
Thanks to all...
I will get on it again tomorrow and run it in a tight circle while watching the rear wheels...reminds me of my dog chasing his tail.
When I drove it from where I was pulling the saplings to where I used the loader I didn't notice anything unusual. That makes me feel better.
Thanks again.

/ B3200 Differential Lock Question
I just checked to see if the outside rear tire rotates faster than the inside on a tight turn, and it does...noticibly. I guess I have no issue with my diff lock being stuck on. Thanks to all for the great information.