Another BX oil filter question

/ Another BX oil filter question #1  

splotkin

Tractor
Kubota BX1850
Well, I went out to change the oil and filter on my BX 1850. I was sure that I had the correct Kubota filter. It was a HH150-32094. I hate to try and get the front guard off the tractor so I am able to reach under the side panel to loosen the filter with a really slick filter wrench that looks like a giant pair of slip lock pliers.

Oil is drained and old filter is off and in the bottom of the drain bucket. I get the new filter and it is too big to fit between the side panel and the support for the loader. Woops... Some how I was given the wrong filter in my order. Long story short I run off to Walmart (it is a Sunday) and they have a FRAM TG/PH6607. I crossed to this from the correct kubota #HH150-32430 to a WIX 51365. This crossed to the Fram part number.

Here is my question. Should I run this filter for 100 hours or change it out as soon as possible for a Kubota one? I have about 150 hours on the tractor and the three year drive train warranty expired at the end of last month.

Any opinions? Also.. Any Idea what the HH150-32094 is for? If you can use it, stop by after Turkey day and you can have it. (Western MA. Amherst Area).

Thanks,

Scott

/ Another BX oil filter question #2  
It fits my B2320 !! :D:D

If you get a blizzard over the weekend, you'll want to run it with that Fram, just to clear the drive.

That said, get the right one. It's just a stubbier version of the same filter. You can check the correct number on Messick's website.
:HH150-32430
You can change the filter anytime. You'll only lose a few ounce of oil. Top it off and away you go.

/ Another BX oil filter question #3  
Here is my question. Should I run this filter for 100 hours or change it out as soon as possible for a Kubota one? I have about 150 hours on the tractor and the three year drive train warranty expired at the end of last month.

Scott

The change interval is 100 hrs, why would you not leave it on for 100 hrs? My BX2200 has over 800 hrs. and the only filter I've used on it, besides the original, has been Fram. My Honda that I just traded had 297,000 miles on it and only had Fram filters on it. Some people here bad mouth the Fram, but they've worked for me for the last 20 some years.:confused2:

/ Another BX oil filter question #4  
The change interval is 100 hrs, why would you not leave it on for 100 hrs? My BX2200 has over 800 hrs. and the only filter I've used on it, besides the original, has been Fram. My Honda that I just traded had 297,000 miles on it and only had Fram filters on it. Some people here bad mouth the Fram, but they've worked for me for the last 20 some years.:confused2:

I'd say that you got lucky with Fram filters on a Honda. When I worked in Honda service, we used to get one or two of them a year where the filters would blow off and leave the base attached in the winter. Cold engine+tire spin+high oil pressure.

Never happened with factory filters, just aftermarket ones.

Had problems with my last 5.7 Chevy due to smaller passages in the Fram filter (asked around and found out this is not uncommon). Valves were tapping...After 200 miles put on a dealer AC..Problem solved.

I only use OEM filters for anything I own now.

Glad you've had good luck with Fram's though. Not bashing them, just giving my personal experience.

/ Another BX oil filter question #5  
I'd have put the old dirty one back on before I used a Fram.

/ Another BX oil filter question #6  
Never had any trouble with Fram filters, 20 years or better. I wouldn't call it luck either, as I have played the lottery for about 20 years too...with no luck! They have serviced, my Toyota Trucks, forerunner, Honda, Jeep CJ, and an older ford as well.

/ Another BX oil filter question
I never thought this would turn into a Fram filter discussion. It was the luck of the draw that they had the Fram and not the Wix. I have a Turbo Dodge SRT-4 that I run with a Fram filter if I run out of the Mopar one. We lost our dodge dealer and the closest is a 90 minute round trip.

I use the premium TG Fram on the Dodge as opposed to the standard PH as it has better flow and a smaller micron filter. I also used the TG on the Kubota this time. My only concern was if I had crossed over the numbers correctly and if they really were compatible. On another post of this forum I saw someone had crossed a BX Kubota filter to a Wix and it was a different number than I had. I do know that Kubota has changed the part number a few times on the BX filter.

There are differences with back-flow valves and by-pass valves etc. on filters that otherwise seem exactly the same. Some people will not run a filter with a by-pass valve claiming it will release a bunch of gunk if the filter plugs up and opens the by-pass. Unfortunately there is no way to tell if the valve has opened or not.

There are many variables on filters and I did not have a chance to do a real comparison. I thought some-one on the board might have some knowledge at least on the genuine Kubota one.

I do appreciate all of the opinions and will continue to see what I can find out about the different filters. If any-one else has info on the Kubota specs I would be interested in seeing them.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving Day to every-one. :licking:

-Scott

/ Another BX oil filter question #8  
Well, I went out to change the oil and filter on my BX 1850. I was sure that I had the correct Kubota filter. It was a HH150-32094.
1*I hate to try and get the front guard off the tractor so I am able to reach under the side panel to loosen the filter with
3* a really slick filter wrench that looks like a giant pair of slip lock pliers.
Scott
1*No need to do that.
3*The best filter wrench for this is what i calll a 3 finger claw that fits a 3/8 drive ratchet wrench.

/ Another BX oil filter question #9  
I just installed a WIX 51358 on my BX1500 and everything fit. It was slightly different in length (don't remember if it was shorter or longer) from the previous Kubota filter but everything fit.

Have not been much of a Fram fan the past 10 years or so. All of the ones I have cut apart just did not look all that well built.

Robert

/ Another BX oil filter question #10  
I never thought this would turn into a Fram filter discussion. It was the luck of the draw that they had the Fram and not the Wix. I have a Turbo Dodge SRT-4 that I run with a Fram filter if I run out of the Mopar one. We lost our dodge dealer and the closest is a 90 minute round trip.

I use the premium TG Fram on the Dodge as opposed to the standard PH as it has better flow and a smaller micron filter. I also used the TG on the Kubota this time. My only concern was if I had crossed over the numbers correctly and if they really were compatible. On another post of this forum I saw someone had crossed a BX Kubota filter to a Wix and it was a different number than I had. I do know that Kubota has changed the part number a few times on the BX filter.

There are differences with back-flow valves and by-pass valves etc. on filters that otherwise seem exactly the same. Some people will not run a filter with a by-pass valve claiming it will release a bunch of gunk if the filter plugs up and opens the by-pass. Unfortunately there is no way to tell if the valve has opened or not.

There are many variables on filters and I did not have a chance to do a real comparison. I thought some-one on the board might have some knowledge at least on the genuine Kubota one.

I do appreciate all of the opinions and will continue to see what I can find out about the different filters. If any-one else has info on the Kubota specs I would be interested in seeing them.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving Day to every-one. :licking:

-Scott

Happy Thanksgiving Scott...I wasn't bashing Fram. I just prefer to use OEM filters due to that fact that if something would happen that is oil related, the OEM (whoever that may be) will give you grief if they see an aftermarket filter...Just sayin.

For all I know, the Fram and Kubota filters may be identical in this case. Can't say, and don't know. For a short use application, you're probably OK...I'd still swap it out for Kubota as soon as I could.