Unable to connect rear PTO on BX2660

/ Unable to connect rear PTO on BX2660 #1  

racolton

Tractor
Kubota BX2660
I was fairly certain that PTOs were standard all around, but now I'm not certain. I tried for hours to get my new Lorenz 430 snowblower's PTO shaft attached to the BX, but it just won't snap in securely. I finally measured the distance from the PTO coupler lip to the ball bearings used to retain the shaft on the tractor's PTO, and compared that measurement to the distance from the tractor's rear seal to the groove on the PTO shaft and it appears to be a 1/4 inch too short. As in, if I wanted the coupler to snap into the groove, I would have to force the snowblower's PTO coupling 1/4" into the rear end of the tractor!

Any ideas? Aren't these things supposed to be universal?? :confused:

/ Unable to connect rear PTO on BX2660 #2  
I'm not sure I understand your problem....... is the PTO shaft too long, or too short? If it's too long, use the search function here for "shorten PTO shaft" for a how-to. Having to shorten a PTO shaft for a new implement is normal. If it's too short...... you'll either need a longer one, or you may be able to buy a PTO extension from somewhere like TSC or your local tractor dealer.

/ Unable to connect rear PTO on BX2660 #3  
Universal for Cat.1 on the 2660. Is the shaft on the blower Cat1?

Ductape, his issue is not the shaft lenght but the spline on the PTO. Assuming you are getting the coupler aligned correctly with the release button opened?

/ Unable to connect rear PTO on BX2660 #4  
I was fairly certain that PTOs were standard all around, but now I'm not certain. I tried for hours to get my new Lorenz 430 snowblower's PTO shaft attached to the BX, but it just won't snap in securely. I finally measured the distance from the PTO coupler lip to the ball bearings used to retain the shaft on the tractor's PTO, and compared that measurement to the distance from the tractor's rear seal to the groove on the PTO shaft and it appears to be a 1/4 inch too short. As in, if I wanted the coupler to snap into the groove, I would have to force the snowblower's PTO coupling 1/4" into the rear end of the tractor!

Any ideas? Aren't these things supposed to be universal?? :confused:

They are universal until you are sold a P.T.O., powered implement that has a 1,000 RPM spline and gear box instead of a Number 6 spline for a 540 rpm tractor.

I would simply use rubbing alcohol and a small stiff brush to clean the splines
as well as rag and then use fluid film to lube it up on both the male and female ends.

it should slip and slide then with no issues.

/ Unable to connect rear PTO on BX2660 #5  
I agree with Leonz, new couplings are often painted and/or gunky and need to be cleaned out with a stiff wire brush. That makes a big difference.

/ Unable to connect rear PTO on BX2660 #6  
sorry - I find it way too odd that you would say a pto shaft is too short on a BX. More often then not, its too long and it "bottoms out" and may bind up and damage the pto onyour tractor. Are you sure that your pto shaft is not slidable? If it does slide to a longere length, then the shaft would be coming apart if it was too short, but you made no mention of it.
The owner manual from lorenz blower says its a 540 pto so there should be no mixup with 1000rpm spline. from step number three of owner manual says:
The PTO shaft supplied with the
blower must be checked for length. As the
blower is raised with the 3-point, the shaft
telescopes. The shaft needs to be about four
inches shorter than the shortest position when
raising the 3-point. Your dealer will be able to
help you in making sure it is the correct length.

This tells me its a slidable pto shaft. It sounds like the shaft is stuck and not sliding. you need to pull it apart and grease it up and reassemble.

/ Unable to connect rear PTO on BX2660 #7  
I think the OP is saying the PTO output shaft from the tractor is too short or the coupler on the attachment is too long. The coupler "bottoms out" against the tractor and won't slide on the PTO output shaft far enough to lock. Nothing to do with the length of the drive shaft to the attachment.

The dimension should be standard but I haven't researched it. If you post the measurement from the seal face to the groove in the shaft, I'm sure there will be several volunteers to see if it matches their BX. Could be the coupling on the implement side is too long and just needs a thin slice taken off.

/ Unable to connect rear PTO on BX2660
Pictures would have helped explain it better, but the camera was left at the in-laws over Thanksgiving. I found a generic PTO line drawing that might help and took a picture of the coupler with the cell phone.

From the face of the PTO shaft seal (on the tractor's gear case) to the detent where the PTO coupler is supposed to be secured is 1.1". (See line drawing)

From the face of the PTO quick-connect (on the blower's PTO shaft) to the ball bearings that are supposed to go in the detent on the tractor's PTO is 1.35". I couldn't find a picture, but it's the type where you pull a collar back so that the ball bearings are released from the groove on the tractor's PTO. There is no possibility of removing 1/4" of material, because then the snap ring that prevents the collar from falling off would be gone. (See poor quality cell phone pic.)

Attachments

• PTO Sideview.jpg
    PTO Sideview.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 194
  • Snowblower PTO Coupling.jpg
    Snowblower PTO Coupling.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 370
   / Unable to connect rear PTO on BX2660 #9  
1.1" does seem pretty short. I am not around my tractor at the moment, but I bet I am closer to 2" or so to the groove.

Right now I think you have two options.

1. Call the MFG of the snowblower and explain the situation to them. See if they have alternate PTO shafts that they could possibly swap with you. If not, see what they suggest. And it will at least make them aware of fittment issues with your model of tractor.

2. Another option if opition 1 doesn't get you anywhere is to go to tsc and get a pto shaft adaper/extender. Like this Extension Adapter - 0271033 | Tractor Supply Company

And then shorten the PTO shaft of the blower so it doesn't bind. But I would do this as a last case if the MFG doesn't help you out.

/ Unable to connect rear PTO on BX2660 #10  
Pictures would have helped explain it better, but the camera was left at the in-laws over Thanksgiving. I found a generic PTO line drawing that might help and took a picture of the coupler with the cell phone.

From the face of the PTO shaft seal (on the tractor's gear case) to the detent where the PTO coupler is supposed to be secured is 1.1". (See line drawing)

From the face of the PTO quick-connect (on the blower's PTO shaft) to the ball bearings that are supposed to go in the detent on the tractor's PTO is 1.35". I couldn't find a picture, but it's the type where you pull a collar back so that the ball bearings are released from the groove on the tractor's PTO. There is no possibility of removing 1/4" of material, because then the snap ring that prevents the collar from falling off would be gone. (See poor quality cell phone pic.)

Did you get that PTO shaft from the dealer or is that ugly thing something you had?

IT sure as %^&*(*&^% does not look brand new;

IF THEY GAVE IT TO YOU AS NEW, DEMAND A NEW ONE AS A NEW ONE DOES NOT LOOK THAT NASTY! Or as Click and Clack would say that looks like one of our employees-BUTTS UGLY!!!!

your picture would have the plastic yoke guards interfering with the yoke so you could barely hould onto the whole mess as they are supposed to be intact on the shafts.

The Key stub in the female yoke that is shown in your picture is what helps guide the rest of it in place as long as you have the little stinker started on one spline.

Even with the poorer picture exploded, I can tell the male splines within the female coupler yoke are damaged !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could not do that amount of damage unless you used 4 pound hammer on the yoke but the Yoke would crack first!!