Kubota Grand L3940 PTO questions

/ Kubota Grand L3940 PTO questions #11  
I have the little yellow knob you turn to the right for "on" (see below). It feels like a switch that can't be feathered ... just on or off. Maybe I'm wrong?

Yours must be a different yeat than my '10, if you have PTO "lever"?

(Ignore my un-plugged seat switch; I would "never" knowingly bypass a safety switch. Or would I?!? :confused2: ...:laughing:)

attachment.php

I do have a cab but it is hard to believe the PTO would be any different.

Mine has a cable down to a lever on the trans to engage.

Have you looked to be sure yours is an electric switch?

Mine is in the same are but a lever that moves fore & aft, on a 2007 model.

/ Kubota Grand L3940 PTO questions
Have you looked to be sure yours is an electric switch?

No, I haven't ... but I just looked at my manual, & the section is called "PTO Clutch Control Switch", & it says "The PTO clutch control switch engages or disengages the PTO clutch which gives the PTO independent control." Also "Turn the switch to "ON" to engage the PTO clutch. Turn the switch "OFF" to disengage the PTO clutch."

/ Kubota Grand L3940 PTO questions #13  
John Deere has had the "on/off" PTO switch for years. I don't like them and hate that it appears that Kubota is going that route.

/ Kubota Grand L3940 PTO questions #14  
Get a post hole digger hung up or hit a rock and you well be wishing you hand a clutch. You can also twist the pto shaft on a bush hog or other big stuff.

/ Kubota Grand L3940 PTO questions #15  
Get a post hole digger hung up or hit a rock and you well be wishing you hand a clutch. You can also twist the pto shaft on a bush hog or other big stuff.

I don't have one on my M8540 nor did I on my Case CX80, or several other tractors and never missed it, I just disengaged the PTO lever when needed.

I have never damaged any equipment due to a lack of a clutch.

/ Kubota Grand L3940 PTO questions #16  
Beppington,

To answer the first question about why you can not turn the shaft 360 degrees with the engine dead is, yes, there is a brake on the PTO shaft. It is spring applied and the 120 degrees or so that you can turn it is so you can hook up a PTO shaft with the engine dead.

You would never want to work on a running tractor and attempt to hook up a PTO shaft or you should pick out your headstone now.

The PTO engagement control on the new Grand L40s (-3) are now electrohydraulic meaning the yellow knob really is a switch that fires a coil to open the hydraulic flow to the PTO pack instead of a manual controlled valve doing the same thing.

And if Kevin has bypassed his seat switch because it kept shutting the engine off because he is light in weight or a smaller person, a piece of high density foam on the seat switch contact button will keep the switch closed when the seat bounces.

It is very dangerous to bypass any safety equipment.

Good luck!

YC

/ Kubota Grand L3940 PTO questions #17  
Once of the changes in the -3 model was the PTO going from a lever to a knob (switch). So far I don't mind the switch, we'll see for how long. At least there's no linkage to get damaged.

/ Kubota Grand L3940 PTO questions #18  
What are the pro and cons of the switch over the lever?

The only one that counts is that you can only get the switch now :laughing:. I would think that with a lever you can, like said above, feather it, while a switch is on or off. The lever has linkage that could cause troubles. I haven't found it a problem yet but it's possible that the knob on the switch could be hard to operate with heavy gloves on.

Other than that I would say it's personal taste. The cruse control lever bothers me more than the PTO. It's a lever you have to push a long way but it just engages a switch.

/ Kubota Grand L3940 PTO questions #19  
I haven't found it a problem yet but it's possible that the knob on the switch could be hard to operate with heavy gloves on.

I've found the same kind of thing with the 3400. Whether it's the compact size of the tractor and operator's station, or just less-than-ideal design, some of the controls are not well thought out.

I've cut 6 inches off both the joystick lever and gear-shift lever (both hooked on coats and pant legs), and removed the lever on the turn-signal switch (switched on by boot tops).

Machinery that is used in cold wet winter conditions needs to be designed to accomodate the kind of clothing commonly found in those situations. Big, easy to grip controls are a real plus when you can just barely feel your fingers. No comments about heated cabs, please...:)

Sean

/ Kubota Grand L3940 PTO questions
Machinery that is used in cold wet winter conditions needs to be designed to accomodate the kind of clothing commonly found in those situations. Big, easy to grip controls are a real plus when you can just barely feel your fingers. No comments about heated cabs, please...:)

How about a comment about operating in FL?! :laughing: Just kidding, it was in the low 30's the last 2 nites.