Misc Pics of Tractor Split to Replace Clutch

/ Misc Pics of Tractor Split to Replace Clutch #1  

MichKubota

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2850 Hydrostatic/ Deere 5410 w/loader
Thought I would share some pics of splitting my tractor for clutch replacement. Hope they help someone else doing similar job.

These were taken as I was removing old clutch.

Attachments

• 100_2892.jpg
    100_2892.jpg
    695 KB · Views: 2,770
  • 100_2900.jpg
    100_2900.jpg
    629.6 KB · Views: 2,800
  • 100_2905.jpg
    100_2905.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 1,321
  • 100_2926.jpg
    100_2926.jpg
    835.2 KB · Views: 1,353
   / Misc Pics of Tractor Split to Replace Clutch #2  
Very interesting to me. Do you have a shot from further back so we can see how you went about supporting the parts from the beginning? I'd also be interested in the steps necessary to get the tractor to this stage of disassembly.

Since I live in Brighton (down the road from you), is this a reasonable job for a first timer or would you suggest having someone on hand who has done it before? I have a JD1070 that will probably need a clutch soon.

/ Misc Pics of Tractor Split to Replace Clutch #3  
From the looks of the rust, I'd say you have a tractor with special needs! Left out in the weather, submerged or just not used? Good luck, though it appears you are on top of it.

/ Misc Pics of Tractor Split to Replace Clutch #4  
Looks like fun. The last one I split was a old Farmall MD that needed a clutch. I thought it was cool starting it on gas and switching it to diesel, it just felt so wrong lol.

/ Misc Pics of Tractor Split to Replace Clutch
Here are a few more pics. This is second tractor split I have done. The other was a JD1050.

Not a hard job.

1. Shop Manual
2. Two large floor hydraulic jacks (one could be replaced with cherry picker)
3. Three stationary floor jacks
4. Smooth concrete surface to move tractor apart while on large floor jack or cherry picker
5. Clutch plate alignment tool (Harbor Freight $10)
6. Patience.

I kept the rear portion of tractor stationary and rolled the front away while it was on the hydraulic floor jack. Two stationary jacks were placed (on each side) under the wooden board as I inched the front away. The stationary jack heights were set so the board had about 1/4" clearance. I did this as a precaution in case the hydraulic floor jack had issues.

Attachments

• 100_2896.jpg
    100_2896.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 2,648
  • 100_2898.jpg
    100_2898.jpg
    835.2 KB · Views: 2,003
  • 100_2897.jpg
    100_2897.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 1,722
   / Misc Pics of Tractor Split to Replace Clutch #6  
Looks like you have a new hyd. pump? What horsepower is this? I see 4 cylinders..Looks like over 1600 hours on the clutch? It appears to be single stage too?Jy

Kubota L3650 Power:
Engine: 40.5 hp [30.2 kW]
PTO: 33 hp [24.6 kW]

Was that a guess on the hours or did you read it off my filter? Actual hours on tractor is 1568. I think this is probably first time clutch has been replaced.

Not sure if the hydraulic pump is new. It is made out of aluminum so probably why it looks newer. Is the pump normally painted with the engine? The starter is the same (looks new) as this pump.

/ Misc Pics of Tractor Split to Replace Clutch #8  
Actually you take clear photos...I guess you just bought yours too? That pump appears to be new> I did not know your model, I just bought an 2003 L3000dt a couple months ago, it is 32 hp 3# cyl. I have 750 hrs and was concerned about the clutch too on it.It is supposed to be 2 stage type on it. I cannot adjust or check the clutch until I disconnect the side loader support? Not going for that soon though.Jy.

I forgot to mention, this is single stage clutch.

The clutch rusted together after not being in use for over 3 months. Guess that's not a surprise. What is surprising to me is that with all the rust and crud in and around the clutch, it didn't make any unusual noises. Even the throw out bearing spun good and didn't make noise.

I replaced everything but surprised at how quiet it ran before it froze up.

/ Misc Pics of Tractor Split to Replace Clutch #10  
I had my 8n Ford rust to the flywheel one time, i took it out and buried the plow, going to break it loose. the tires dug two holes spinning, and the engine grunted and dies. I was so mad, i went back in for a week. when i pulled it out, it was okay again? Still have it, same clutch. Glad to see, how it is done on a Bota. Jy